mot emission failure 740

My 740 gl1988 2.0 injection 265000 miles has failed government test (MOT) due to excessive co and hc emissions. no readings given to me by garage.He wants more money to fix than the car is worth. He said i needed a "new part "for £300 + fitting . I do not want to let car be scrapped as it is a reliable workhorse. Most garages used to tweak for £10 and then pass test.... Any ideas on a repair/adjustment that may get car though test.I have another 740 2.0 i that i could take of parts for swopping/testing but it is in use so i dont want to rob and end up with both off of the road .

Thanks

Pete Boiling Hastings England (1066 and all that) snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com

740 gl 265000 740 se 134000 940 231050
Reply to
Peter Boiling

I'd be inclined to swap the parts between the air intake to the inlet manifold just for the MOT test then put them all back again. If it passes, fine and dandy, gives you time to sort it out. If not, I'd be surprised. I never typed this message and it will self destruct if read. LOL.

Stuart (the other one)

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Have you tried thoroughly cleaning the inlet tract and components? This should be done every two years to maintain performance. Also have you put fuel cleaner into your fuel tank lately? About every five fillups you should introduce this cleaner as it also cleans the whole fuel system including injectors, which are one of the major causes of failed emissions. The garage should have given you the readings so that you know how much they need to improve. Just before you take it for another emissions check take the car for an Italian Tune-up ( a fast run down the motorway to blast all the crud from the exhaust). My 945 Turbodiesel only failed it's emissions on it's MOT earlier this year. I was given a full set of readings obtained so that I knew the tester was not trying to pull a fast one ( I know him anyway and can trust what he says). Poured Fuel and Injector cleaner into tank, then fastish 10 mile run and "hey presto" emissions well within once more.

Have you considered joining the Volvo Owners Club? You will be able to get a lot of useful information from other members and can access the website forums (without becoming a member) for all the help you will ever need. If you are interested e-mail me your address and I will send you one of our blue Freepost postcards on which to apply (still around £20/year).

All the best, Peter.

Reply to
Peter Milnes