My 92 Volvo 740 is leaning to the left......

Its around an inch lower on the left side, suspension is apparently sagging on that side. Ovbviously the rear left suspension is affected, too. Do I need to change the left hand strut, or shock or both?

Reply to
geronimo

Does this have Nivomat self leveling rear suspension? If so, when it starts to go, it goes fast, and pretty soon you're bottoming out over speed bumps. My little brother's 760 did this recently, I replaced the springs with some from a junkyard and installed standard Bilstein shocks. Much cheaper than new Nivomats and it handles fine.

Reply to
James Sweet

My old 960 with the self leveling suspension leans t0o the left if I don't drive it for a few days. a 5 mile drive sorts it out and self levels as os should. rather expensive to replace.

Ste H

Reply to
Steve H

The exception is if the car has Nivomats. These self leveling shocks use a very light spring, and much of the support is provided by the shock. They will sag badly when they wear out and replacement is spendy, it's much cheaper to convert the car to conventional shocks and springs.

Reply to
James Sweet

"For 1995, the 960 underwent radical changes. Most obvious was the more aerodynamic front end, and more body coloured panels. Underneath, the front suspension was completely retooled to more closely match that of the 850. Indeed, 1995 to 1998 960s are able to use the same wheels as 1994 and newer front-wheel drive Volvo models. The rear suspension was a completely redesigned multi-link independent design. Instead of conventional coil springs, Volvo used a single transverse fibreglass leaf spring. The 1995 960 station wagon marked the first time ever that Volvo equipped one of its rear-wheel drive station wagons with an independent rear suspension. Included in the suspension redesign, Boge's self-levelling rear suspension system, the Nivomat, became an option, rather than standard equipment."

See,

Someone

Mine doesn't have self-levelling system. Its driveable, but I can't load much into it as is, with it leaning so much down on the drivers side. What I'm wondering about about is that it would seem to be a problem both at the front AND back left. Wouldn't the suspension have to go down on both the front and back for the car to be down on the left when you look at it from the front or back? When you push on the left hood and release, it only bounces once, so I guess the shock is OK, but I think I'd replace both shock and strut. Thanks

Reply to
geronimo

It's hard to say without looking at it, but a broken suspension part on one end could make the whole side of the car sag. I would recommend getting underneath and having a look. Inspect carefully for broken springs, really bad bushings, missing bolts, etc. If it's leaning that badly you might have something broken that's obvious enough to see.

Reply to
James Sweet