My Volvo Saved My Life....

As I said, I didn't mean to sound condescending and I suspected that you were probably hemmed in after a second thought about you being in California. However, my soapbox speech wasn't directed at you but more at the system/situation that allows non-skilled, untrained, lifeforms to operate lethal weapons on the highways virtually unsupervised. As you by needs have well learned, focus and concentration are hard work that is seldom rewarded by the inattentiveness of inept drivers. I would favor a class license system that would keep those unwilling or unable to master proper car control skills on highly congested secondary roads where they can play bumper cars at lower speeds. Leave the higher roadways to thise that can play well together.

Reply to
User

Several years ago, as a passenger on an autobahn at 140 mph, I remarked the driver that I felt safer than at half the speed on the New Jersey turnpike. The difference was that we weren't sandwiched between two tractor-trailors. But I feel safer on the Turnpike with the trucks than with cars. Where the Turnpike divides so that all trucks go into a separate set of lanes, I always go with the trucks. They are better drivers than the average motorists, and I try to do as well. If a big truck comes up behind me, wanting to pass, I move to another lane because it is harder for a truck to switch lanes.

Reply to
Marvin

I was in exactly the same situation a few years ago. I had absolutely nowhere to go. Double-trailer Semi on the right and a car on the left and everyone was standing on the binders. The car to my left was all over the place and the semi was in lockup mode with trailers going all over the place. I was rear ended by someone drinking a malt and a Wendy's cheeseburger.

Reply to
Maze

Anybody who can drink a Wendy's cheeseburger can stop on a dime, just by digging their powerful fingernails into the bitumen. *Obviously* a case of brake failure.

Reply to
Andrew McKenna

ANDREW!!! Obviously, you have a better sense of humor than most!!! One of these days, I'd love to shake your hand.

Reply to
Maze