My windsheild...

Took a stone to the base of my windsheild last week and sure enough there is a crack now creeping up from the bottom. Damn! My question is for those who have replaced a windsheild on their late model Volvos. I have a 1999 Volvo S70 and am curious if it's worth paying extra to get an OEM windsheild over a standard replacement from Apple or any of the other good glass shops. I was told it would cost anywhere from $300 for a non-OEM to $700 for OEM. I'm not against paying the extra but since most of my driving is on the highway I don't really want to replace a windsheild every 2 years. Damned trucks! It was a dump truck with no net over the payload and must have been carrying gravel. Any opinions appreciated.

Jordan S70 Loaded and cracked!

Reply to
Jordan B

Don't you have comprehensive on your auto insurance plan? The last time I had my windshield replaced I paid nothing out of pocket. Sears Auto Glass paid the deductable. My replacement windshield has been in my car for 10 years.

Brick_0

I'm not against paying the extra but

Reply to
Brick_0

10 years ago, insurance windshields were different. When I got a windshield replaced in the late 1980s, it didn't cost me anything either. I was quite shocked how different things were when the S70 needed a windshield last year. $300 deductible! And the insurance company has a fixed amount that they pay for that vehicle. The total job was just under $900 (CDN), they gave the garage just under $600, no invoices needed. I ended up going with an aftermarket glass, the only difference is that the tinted band at the top is about 1" wider. There's no quality problem with the glass that I can see.
Reply to
Mike F

I just had a pitted windshield on my 740 replaced for $285(CDN) Why is S70 so much more?

Reply to
Boris Mohar

Mike, Where did you end up going? I don't really care about the OEM but I know it might make a difference if I sell the car in the future. Not that I would! {:-)> In the year that I've owned it all I have done is replace the rear brakes and other routine maintenance. I'm bracing for the 96K service though. Got my loonie tin filling up for it! I suppose ther are no SRS decals on the non-OEM glass either? The crack grew another inch this week. Maybe I should start a growth chart! {:-)>

Jordan S70 Loaded and cracked!

Reply to
Jordan Britnell

So I got my windsheild replaced yesterday at Apple Auto Glass in Oshawa. Decided not to go through insurance because the deductible is $500 and total cost was only $537 CDN. WAY less than I had expected. The glass is pretty much the same as OEM but as mentioned previously the shade bar is a bit wider which is fine with me. Thanks for all your opinions.

Jordan 1999 S70 Loaded and not cracked now!

Reply to
Jordan B

I use Armor All glass cleaner on all windows (even on my house!) and it is a miracle liquid. I can generally see well enough when it's raining that I don't need to use my wipers as much. No flames please! I don't know why but it promotes beading WAY better than regular glass cleaner. My guess would be that the waxes and pollution build up on your windsheild and the wipers smear them onto the glass causing rivulet marks until you wash your car. I have seen this before but only when it is really humid.

Jordan 1999 S70 Loaded!

Reply to
Jordan B