Need '86-'91 240 ALLDATA help please

A friend has a '92 240 which needs a new heater control valve (the already converted junk plastic one). ALLDATA for my '93shows this as .6 hours labor. Local shop seems to think this is 2 hours labor, I think based on pre-92 heater control valve conversion kit labor charge. Would someone who subscribes to ALLDATADIY for an '86-'91 240 please check the shop time for replacing (converting to the new replacement) the heater control valve, and post results. Thanks.

Reply to
mccaldwell2

I have the Nichol's Chilton Labour Guide on CDROM and for "Heater Control Valve Replacement" on a 1992 Volvo 240 it lists the labour time as 1.7 hours.

For all other Volvos the time is apparently 0.8 hours but the 240/260 is roughly double.

Hope that helps.

blurp

On 17 Oct 2005 06:10:18 -0700, the illustrious snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net favored us with the following prose:

Reply to
blurp

Thanks Blurp for taking the time to check Chilton's. Do you by any chance have Chilton's shop time for a 1990 240, and is it the same? I'm starting to think that the problem may be that Chilton is wrong (not updated) for '92 and '93. When checked another shop, they first gave a high labor charge. When it was explained that it was a '92 which already had the new style plastic heat control valve and only needed the heat control valve itself installed (and not the entire conversion kit, although still have to buy the entire kit) they said labor should be under an hour. Maybe that's why all other Volvos are showing 1/2 the labor time--already using the new style part.

blurp wrote:

Reply to
mccaldwell2

Thanks Blurp for taking the time to check Chilton's. Do you by any chance have Chilton's shop time for a 1990 240, and is it the same? I'm starting to think that the problem may be that Chilton is wrong (not updated) for '92 and '93. When checked another shop, they first gave a high labor charge. When it was explained that it was a '92 which already had the new style plastic heat control valve and only needed the heat control valve itself installed (and not the entire conversion kit, although still have to buy the entire kit) they said labor should be under an hour. Maybe that's why all other Volvos are showing 1/2 the labor time--already using the new style part.

blurp wrote:

Reply to
mccaldwell2

Nope, the Chilton's really seems to treat all 240s the same. It's just "240" and "All others".

Not too detailed. Perhaps it's relevant that my version of Chilton's is from 2000, maybe they added detail later on?

Most of my 240 experience comes from a 1983 Turbo model so I cannot comment on newer heat control valves. Sorry.

blurp

On 17 Oct 2005 10:31:10 -0700, the illustrious snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net favored us with the following prose:

Reply to
blurp