Need Buying Advice

I am ready to give up my '86 GL wagon (my 2nd Volvo) and have been looking at used V70 XCs in the 1998-2000 year range. I really like the looks of that model better than any others in that span of years. I would like to stay under $11,000 and would absolutely love to have a manual tranmission. The advice I'm looking for is specifically about that model, but I'm open to suggestions of other models that I should consider. Is there anything about the V70 XC that I need to be cautious of? I live in L.A. and the car would be used for city driving only. Thanks for your help.

Reply to
csonsini

I have to wonder given the price of fuel from here into the future, why you'd want the extra gas drinking (4x4) capabilities of the XC if you are driving around on pavement in a large urban area. Wouldn't a nice V70 with traction control do as well for you, and give better mileage? The V70 rides a bit lower (better handling), and wouldn't have the added expense of 4x4 drivetrain repairs, when they come. And they will. Just a thought, since you asked...

cheers

RS

Reply to
Rusty

See, that's just the kind of info I need. I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't know that the XC has 4x4 capabilities. I definitely don't need (or want) that. I was initially interested in the XC because I liked the looks. I'll start looking at the V70...hopefully I can find one with a manual transmission.

Thanks so much for your input.

Rusty wrote:

Reply to
csonsini

You might want to consider the V40 4-banger or the 850/950 wagons

5-knocker.

Check the used car newspapers and websites. One that springs to mind is "autortrader.com".

Lots of end-of-lease returns coming up all the time so the market is out there. You just ahve to figure out what YOUR needs are.

Steps that I would follow:

1) determine actual working needs (waht's the largest thing that you're going to sling into the back or drag along) -- that'll give you model and power requirements 2) research local prices 3) go out and dicker, and don't be in a rush
Reply to
byrocat

XC denotes Cross Country; it's a moniker indicating 4x4 drivetrain among other features, and a certain look to it, sort of...outdoorsy and rugged, bigger fog lamps etc. Volvo also has other 4x4's in the line up, with the letters AWD in there (all wheel drive). Check out

for the complete line up.good used Volvo link
Best of luck with your search.

RS

Reply to
Rusty

I'm pretty sure that non of the V70XC have 5sp.

Along with that non of the turbo's from then could be found with 5sp, just auto.

I'll warn you that finding a 5sp Volvo can be tricky. It took me a while to find a 5sp '96 850 wagon.

If you do find a 5sp a lot of times they are in very "base" cars, which means no leather seats, sun roof, etc...

Just someth> XC denotes Cross Country; it's a moniker indicating 4x4 drivetrain among

Reply to
Atif

Consumer Reports has a used car issue each year, with useful information on repair records. Most public libraries subscribe, or you can subscribe to the online mag at consumerreports.com.

Reply to
Marvin

i just upgraded my '86 wagon (worth $500 @ 450K smiles) to a newer '90 wagon (worth $3K @ 80K smiles), maybe you should stay where you are, or go to a '91 240... it's hard to beat. 1: go for low mileage,

2: stay with the 240 series (auto or manual) they are indestructable... not so with *any* other volvo built except maybe the older 120 series :)... stay away from anything that you cannot fix (or easily get fixed) i've been driving volvos since the early 60s... and have just gotten acclimated to fuel injection lambda stuff...

best!

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: : I am ready to give up my '86 GL wagon (my 2nd Volvo) and have been : looking at used V70 XCs in the 1998-2000 year range. I really like the : looks of that model better than any others : in that span of years. I would like to stay under $11,000 and would : absolutely love to have a manual tranmission. : The advice I'm looking for is specifically about that model, but I'm : open to suggestions : of other models that I should consider. Is there anything about the : V70 XC that I need : to be cautious of? : I live in L.A. and the car would be used for city driving only. : Thanks for your help.

Reply to
AND Books