Need opinions on power tranny flush

Can I please have opinions on the risk of a power tranny flush? There is a reputable Volvo service company in Dallas that does the power flush. All they do is Volvo. They want $160 for the job, which I think is steep.

Money aside, can I please have feedback on my risk of leaks or cons that outweigh the pros? I have 200,000 miles and my thoughts are that this may give me a few more thousand miles. I don't have any major problems other than early shifting.

Thoughts????

Reply to
Jamie

Jamie

several years ago, when I first got my '89 240, I flushed the tranny using the procedure below. I believe I found it thru this newsgroup. The only thing I did differently was to use one quart of synthetic fluid at the end. Car has shifted perfectly ever since... I've got 230,000 miles on it.

m9876c at yahoo dot com ===================================The transmission could be flushed/refilled by you at home using new, clean transmission fluid, meeting DEXRON III G specifications. (Total volume needs to be at least16 liters) Check your owners manual to make sure of the type of fluid you should be using. Remove the battery and battery shelf. Remove the return hose on the control system (valve body). Install a plastic plug in the connection on the cover (valve body) and a transparent plastic hose on the oil return hose connection. Position a container for the oil with markings for the volume under the hose. Temporarily reinstall the battery shelf and the battery.

Apply the parking brake, gear selector in park, start the engine and allow the engine to idle. Switch the engine off when 2 quarts of oil have been pumped out or when air bubbles become visible in the hose. Top up with 2 quarts of oil. repeat this procedure 7 times. Check the color of the oil, when the color of the oil is clear red (as new oil), switch off the engine and connect the return hose to the control system (valve body) cover. Check and adjust the oil level. The above procedure is the official Volvo procedure for flushing the transmission. It is a bit simpler to disconnect the top connector at the radiator, you can do this just know that you will not be flushing the cooler when you do this. Transmission Fluid should last forever, but driving conditions and time have shown that things don't always turn out in real life like they do on paper. The newer transmissions with lock up in the lower gears as well as some transmissions even go into neutral at a stop should make the fluid last longer, keep your eye on the fluid condition and change it when needed. (your mileage may vary)

Transmission Line Removal

To remove the transmission line pry open in the direction of the yellow arrows to open the clip, and then pull in the direction of the blue arrow. This is the top connector and it is the one we disconnect at the shop. The top hose is the fluid coming from the transmission, the connection down at the bottom (Green arrow) is the fluid returning to the transmission after passing through the radiator for cooling.

Reply to
Perry Noid