Need Spark Wire to Distributor Cap Diagram for 1984 242

Does anyone have a copy of the spark plug wire to distributor cap diagram.

My totally useless Haynes manual is of no help.

Please e-mail to: snipped-for-privacy@cox.net

Thanks,

Dave

Reply to
Dave

It depends on the orientation the distributor is installed. Firing order is 1-3-4-2 with the distributor rotating clockwise. Start #1 at the post the rotor is pointing near with the #1 (front) cylinder at TDC. Not sure what you mean about the Haynes manual being useless, mine lists all that in the chapter on tune up.

Reply to
James Sweet

Dave- iof you totally are lost do this:

1) remove spark plugs 2) remove distributor cap 3) put finger over #1 cylinder's spark plug hole 4) manually turn motor over in correct direction 5) you will fell air being compressed when the cylinder is coming up on compression stroke. 6) When the air stops being compressed is the point at about which is TDC. You can verify the exact location of TDC now using the timing marks on the harmonic balancer/crank pulley 7) The rotor is now pointing at #1 cylinder. Using James' info, from there, the next cylinder looking clockwise on the dist cap is 3, and then 4 and finally 2.

I hope that is what you were asking for...

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

You're wasted on fixing old cars, Randy (and James, and a few others here). The amount of thought and effort you put in ought to be directed at inventing and building something altogether better than petrol engines and the vehicles we use.....nice though volvos are.

Reply to
jg

"jg" wrote:

This group isn't all I do. I am busy on alt.coffee, and in other areas as well:

My espresso/coffee website

newspaper's online homepage
created all content including the logo)My monthly newspaper which includes my column on the Internet andother computer-related topics
Digital imaging website with lots of lessons
"FRCN University" with lots of lessons for computer users
"FRCNU Online Security Learning Center" with lots of info onInternet and computer security:
Motorcycle Fork Alignment Procedure
Wire Soldering For Beginners
some of the websites I have created for others: Chang Yue Industrial Corp
USA Office of Cheng Yue
most of the content as well as took nearly all of the photos)Rick Mayer Cycle
created his logo as well)There have been some other jobs that are not available online- coffeerelated how-to guides and a couple of owners manuals for homeappliances for a commercial entity (paid for my Canon EOS 20D andSigma 24-70 DG lens!). I occasionally give presentations to the local computer users' group- January and February are on digital photography- Taking better pictures in Jan '06 and how to improve bad pictures in Feb. '06.

I was a teacher for 20 years or so, so it just became an extension of my teaching experience to share other interests. My major in college was art and so computer graphics was a natural extension. I began working on cars back in '67 or so, mostly for myself, but did work at Montgomery Wards, part time in '70-'71 doing tires and batteries. And I taught an "auto repair for women" for a little Independent Adult Education school for a few years out of my home.

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

Very impressed! Anyone who thought coffee was bad for you.... Still, as a general observation, and the thought often occurs to me passing a motor super-modification shop - is this the peak of personal transport development? Of the collective labour of all the clever builders and fixers of engines in the world, we are still basically on the same track as Henry Ford. Like slaves pushing a treadmill, there's a lot of work being done by talented ppl on a very old principle, but none of it directed at breaking out of the loop. I'm no smarter, all I can do is maintain this machine which is largely devoted to overcoming its own inefficiencies and whine about it.

Reply to
jg

Old cars are just something I do to relax and unwind, a waste of time it may be, but then I don't watch TV, vegetate on the couch all day, or any number of other non productive activities many do. Yes it would be nice to have a viable alternative to petrol engines but from an engineering standpoint an old Volvo is a work of art, a masterpiece of the technology available at the time and fascinating to tinker with, it seems those Swedes thought of everything.

A software guy by trade, I also spend a fair amount of time dabbling in electrical and mechanical engineering, HVAC, construction, lighting, chemistry and any number of other oddball things. A day without learning something new and useful is a wasted day.

Reply to
James Sweet

Had hoped my comment would not be taken the wrong way, was meant more as a sideways compliment. I enjoyed fixing cars too before time became so limited. Used to build sailing dinghies so I know all about "wasted time". With an engineering background I certainly appreciate the engineering in volvos, but I began to resent being unable to find (uninterrupted) time and then I worked out cars (in my price bracket at least), use more fuel in a year than they cost.

Reply to
jg