"New" radio, how to get the code?

Hey

I went to an autowreckers yesterday, and found an SC-810 radio out of a 1993

850. Same radio as in my 960. They gave me a VIN number and a 90 day return policy, and told me that the radio worked when they tested it, but no radio code... (I don't know how they tested it... maybe the car it was in had a functional battery when it was brought to them)

Can I goto my Volvo dealer with the radio, and the VIN number and get a new code? Or should the code from my original radio work (ie, is the code referenced to a system in the car or in the radio).

I hope this radio, which only cost $40 works - the rebuilt Volvo radios are $350 around here.... I'd really like FM and the tape deck back (none had the CD player at the wreckers, then again, do I want a 10 year old CD player, probably won't work very well).

Reply to
Rob Guenther

The CD player in my '92 940 still works OK.

Taff...........

taff

Go to the dealer with the VIN number from the wreck and the radio, and they should be able to give you the code for the radio.

Too bad you couldn't find an SC-815 -- at least I think that's the model number for the radio with the CD-player.

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf

The 1992 240 wagon I've just bought has the Volvo AM/FM tape deck system. I was thinking of having this replaced with a new CD stereo. Is this a mistake? The 1989 240 wagon I have now has a CD player installed by the previous owner, and I've gotten kind of spoiled. And, if I do replace the Volvo stereo with a new CD stereo, is there a market for the old stereo? Should I try to sell it?

Reply to
PButler111

I don't think so. You can probably get a replacement system for under $200 that plays audio CDs and mp3 disks, and installing it should be simple.

I would - through ebay.

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf

If the 960 was my daily driver, i'd have changed out the radio to a newer one... but for this car we want to retain the original, classy, upscale look of the interior, so we are opting for a Volvo radio system.... We looked for a SC-816 CD radio, but there were none to be found, I saw some on e-bay for around $150 US.... Too much for a used CD player IMO.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Reply to
Rob Guenther

I wouldn't mind this kind of arrangement, as then I'd have the flexibility to listen to both cassettes and CDs. The only other thing I could think of would be to get a portable CD player with a car kit, which I'd do in a minute if any of the portables came with a dashboard mounting contraption. Otherwise, I don't see how it would work very well.

Reply to
PButler111

This is what I do when I drive the Volvo (actually... I had to do this with a walkman to get FM radio reception for the past year.... now that is totally embarrasing when you have to drive people around in a $40K luxury car). The tape deck finally crapped out on me 2 weeks ago, so my radio hunt picked up. With the Volvo, being that it is already a 2-DIN radio, I couldn't add in a CD player, the VW had a 1-DIN radio, with a 1-DIN storage compartment above it... the CD player now occupies the radio's old spot and the radio moves up one position on the rack (Volvo and VW both have excellent engineering for their radio racks... I was impressed with both cars).

CD players thru the tape deck don't sound as good as a true in car unit... and you have those extra wires... And the CD player occupies a carseat, or storage pocket.

You're better off finding a radio you really want, and buying it... Or if you want to spend a bit more money then I did, go on e-bay and get a radio from a late model car. The 900 series from 93-98, as well as the same era

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Reply to
Rob Guenther