New V70 gas mileage

I just bought a new 2004 V70 2.5T. I've only driven it around town so far (no highway driving), and the computer is telling me that my average gas mileage is only 11 mpg. I expected substantially better mileage from this car. My dealer tells me that the mileage will improve significantly after the 800-mile break-in period on the engine. Is this true? So far, the car only has around 120 miles on it.

- Seth Jackson

Songwriting & Music Business Info:

Seth Jackson

Gas mileage in city driving is notoriously poor. Take it for a blast on the highway and I would be amazed if you see less than 30 Mpg. Give it a try and let us know.

Jordan 1999 S70 Loaded!

Reply to
Jordan B.

That does seem pretty low - I have a new XC70 (same engine, but heavier and AWD) and I'm averaging 17.5ish. Currently at 700 miles on the ODO.

Reply to
Scott Kopiec

The engine needs to "break-in", but that seems a little low. How long have your "around town" drives been?

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf

My '01 XC70 gets 22-23 around town (10-20 mile drives on streets) and

27-28 highway (long const. speed interstate). I never got less than 20.
Reply to
Stephen M. Henning

MPG does sound poor, but make sure you get out of town as soon as possible, within the next 100 miles or so and drive the car reasonably hard. The engine will benefit from breaking in as soon as possible. The trick is not to labour it, nor drive at constant low or high speed, but also to give it plenty of load with a wide-ish throttle opening.

Personnally I would start with a rev limit of around 3500rpm until 500 miles, increasing this 500rpm every 200miles, making sure you accelorate hard to this rpm regularly. Acouple of runs upto the impossed rev limit at full throttle in a lower gear will also help.

Your mpg may possibly get worse before it gets better, but breaking in too gently will never see optimal mpg or engine life, you may end up with a motor which burns oil due to bore glazing.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

For peace of mind, check the tyre pressures and also that the car will roll if in neutral on a modest slope. If it won't then you have a transmission problem or a binding brake.

What figures does the computer show on 'Instantaneous'? When accelerating you will often see single figures, but is should go to

40mpg+ when easy cruising on the level.
Reply to
Tim Hobbs

That equates to 25-29 US mpg.

Reply to
Stephen M. Henning

My drives have been mostly of the short shot variety. Picking my kids up at school, trip to the supermarket, etc.

- Seth Jackson

Songwriting & Music Business Info:

Seth Jackson

That sounds about right. Speaking of the computer, how can I get the display to change between "Average" and "Instantaneous"? It changed once all by itself, and I can't figure out how to change it back. The "Text Display" page in the owner's manual said nothing about this.

- Seth Jackson

Songwriting & Music Business Info:

Seth Jackson

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Heh, not only is it in the driver's manual (are you illiterate?), but it's also intuitive.

Also, for the record, my 2002 XC gets at about 38 MPG freeway (70 MPH cruise control), and averages about 18 in the city (lots of hills and stoplights).

Reply to
wah

Asshole.

- Seth Jackson

Songwriting & Music Business Info:

Seth Jackson

My 2.5 140bhp S70 will average 32-34mpg in mixed use driven reasonably gently, but some fast cruising on dual carriageways / motorway with lots of round-abouts at 80-100mph saw it plummet to 29-30mpg this weekend.

I dont consider this bad at all for what is a heavy car when my Focus is doing only 2-3mpg better.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.