New Volvo Owner!!!

Hey all.....My folks just got a brand spankin new S60, so I got there old

2001 S80. I have two cars I'm going to sell, now that I got the S80. I always kept 2 cars because they weren't worth much, and I drive a lot for work, and it was prudent to have a spare.

The S80 has 68K miles on it, but my folks brought it to Volvo for each and every scheduled maintenance since new, and it was garage kept.

Any weak points on the S80 I should look out for? Should I continue bringing it to Volvo for scheduled maintenance, or is a regular (good) service station sufficient? I understand Volvo charges a mint to do routine stuff...but perhaps they have a better feel for what things to look out for.

Any thoughts would sure be appreciated!

Thanks for the read .....Dave

Reply to
Dave Edwards

The way I see it we have four options:

  1. Dealer
  2. Indy Volvo mechanic (.eu mechanic would probably be acceptable too)
  3. Mechanic of choice and hope he has a service manual for your car
  4. DIY

If you've been supporting two POS cars you will probably be saving money simply by swapping out to one reliable vehicle that requires less maintenance than the other two cars combined.

Reply to
Wooly

Why not maintain and repair it yourself?

Reply to
Mr. V

I'll be doing so, though I did send my new-used Volvo to an indy Volvo shop for it's first major maintenance and an alignment. OP strikes me as a busy guy and may prefer to pay for maintenance.

Reply to
Wooly

Well, some stuff I can do...but I will likely not want to try changing a timing belt...or even an alternator!! Since I will soon not have two cars, when this one craps out, I have to get it fixed...fast. No time to order parts on ebay, and spend evening studying a service book. My ultra crappy job has me working almost all day/evening long!! ....Dave

Reply to
Dave Edwards

An alternator change-out isn't routine maintenance, that's more of a repair item most of the time. Timing belts CAN be routine maintenance

- better to change one before it breaks - but can also be repairs.

Routine maintenance is stuff like oil and filter changes, brake pads replacement, installing new shocks, things like that. About the only "routine" maintenance I plan to send out will be alignments and tire rotate/balance jobs. Everything else I should be able to do myself.

Reply to
Wooly

Most folks do not pull maintenance and repair on their vehicles, and in my opinion they are missing out on a good thing.

Not just saving money, either: I am talking about satisfaction.

Odds are most folks could find the time; finding a place to do it is often tough, though.

The biggest obstacle is the intimidation factor, i.e., getting started if nobody has taken you under their wing earlier in your life and Shown You How.

Me, I learned by reading a book called "How to Repair Your Own Car," and starting with the easy stuff, buying tools as I went.

One of my favorite books was "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance."

Reply to
Mr. V

Each year, Consumer Reports has an issue on cars, including information on the repair record by make, model, and year. Most public libraries have this magazine.

If you have a service station with a really good mechanic, you can use them. But there is some risk. Last year, the exhaust system on my 2000 S40 got noisy, so I took it to the dealer for repair. They found a leak in the catalytic converter, a $1000 replacement. But they knew the part is still under warranty, and the job cost me nothing.

Reply to
Marvin

being six or seven hundred years later.

621. The creation of the deluge being past, and God no longer requiring to destroy the world, nor to create it anew, nor to give such great signs of Himself, He began to establish a people on the earth, purposely formed, who were to last until the coming of the people whom the Messiah should fashion by His spirit.

622. The creation of the world beginning to be distant, God provided a single contemporary historian, and appointed a whole people as guardians of this book, in order that this history might be the most authentic in the world, and that all men might thereby learn a fact so necessary to know, and which could only be known through that means.

623. Japhet begins the genealogy.

Joseph folds his arms, and prefers the younger.

624. Why should Moses make the lives of men so long, and their generations so few?

Because it is not the length of years, but the multitude of generations, which renders things obscure. For truth is perverted only by the change of men. And yet he puts two things, the most memorable that were ever imagined, namely, the creation and the deluge, so near that we reach from one to the other.

625. Shem, who saw Lamech, who saw Ada
Reply to
Dave Edwards

the nations be gathered together. Who among them can declare this, and shew us former things, and things to come? Let them bring forth their witnesses, that they may be justified; or let them hear, and say, It is truth.

"Ye are my witnesses, saith the Lord, and my servant whom I have chosen; that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am He.

"I have declared, and have saved, and I alone have done wonders before your eyes: ye are my witnesses, said the Lord, that I am God.

"For your sake I have brought down the forces of the Babylonians. I am the Lord, your Holy One and Creator.

"I have made a way in the sea, and a path in the mighty waters. I am He that drowned and destroyed for ever the mighty enemies that have resisted you.

"Remember ye not the former things, neither consider the things of old.

"Behold, I will do a new thing; now it shall spring forth; shall ye not know it? I will even make a way in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert.

"This people have I formed for myself; I have established them to shew forth my praise, etc.

"I, even I, am He that blotteth out thy transgressions for mine own sake, and will not remember thy sins. Put in remembrance your ingratitude: see thou, if thou mayest be justified. Thy first father hath sinned, and thy teachers have transgressed against me."

Is. 44.: "I am the first, and I am the last, saith the Lord. Let him who will equal himself to me, declare the order of things since I appointed the ancient people, and the things that are coming. Fear ye not: have I not told you all these things? Ye are my witnesses."

Prophecy of Cyrus.--Is. 45:4: "For Jacob's sake, mine elect, I have called thee by thy name."

Is. 45:21: "Come and let us reason together. Who hath declared this from ancient time? Who hath told it from that time? Have not I, the Lord?"

Is. 46: "Remember the former things of old, and know there is none like me, declaring the end from the beginning,

Reply to
Wooly

discovered than by those which have come into the mind of others.

  1. All great amusements are dangerous to the Christian life; but among all those which the world has invented there is none more to be feared than the theatre. It is a representation of the passions so natural and so delicate that it excites them and gives birth to them in our hearts, and, above all, to that of love, principally when it is represented as very chaste and virtuous. For the more innocent it appears to innocent souls, the more they are likely to be touched by it. Its violence pleases our self-love, which immediately forms a desire to produce the same effects which are seen so well represented; and, at the same time, we make ourselves a conscience founded on the propriety of the feelings which we see there, by which the fear of pure souls is removed, since they imagine that it cannot hurt their purity to love with a love which seems to them so reasonable.

So we depart from the theatre with our heart so filled with all the beauty and tenderness of love, the soul and the mind so persuaded of its innocence, that we are quite ready to receive its first impressions, or rather to seek an opportunity of awakening them in the heart of another, in order that we may receive the same pleasures and the same sacrifices which we have seen so well represented in the theatre.

  1. Scaramouch, who only thinks of one thing.

The doctor, who speaks for a quarter of an hour after he has said everything, so full is he of the desire of talking.

  1. One likes to see the error, the passion of Cleobuline, because she is unconscious of it. She would be displeasing, if she were not deceived.

  1. When a natural discourse paints a passion or an effect, one feels within oneself the truth of what one reads, which was there before, although one did not know it. Hence one is inclined to love him who makes us feel it, for he

Reply to
Marvin

their little knowledge; but I thought at least to find many companions in the study of man and that it was the true study which is suited to him. I have been deceived; still fewer study it than geometry. It is only from the want of knowing how to study this that we seek the other studies. But is it not that even here is not the knowledge which man should have and that for the purpose of happiness it is better for him not to know himself.?

145. One thought alone occupies us; we cannot think of two things at the same time. This is lucky for us according to the world, not according to God.

146. Man is obviously made to think. It is his whole dignity and his whole merit; and his whole duty is to think as he ought. Now, the order of thought is to begin with self, and with its Author and its end.

Now, of what does the world think? Never of this, but of dancing, playing the lute, singing, making verses, running at the ring, etc., fighting, making oneself king, without thinking what it is to be a king and what to be a man.

147. We do not content ourselves with the life we have in ourselves and in our own being; we desire to live an imaginary life in the mind of others, and for this purpose we endeavour to shine. We labour unceasingly to adorn and preserve this imaginary existence and neglect the real. And if we possess calmness, or generosity, or truthfulness, we are eager to make it known, so as to attach these virtues to that imaginary existence. We would rather separate them from ourselves to join them to it; and we would willingly be cowards in order to acquire the reputation of being brave. A great proof of the nothingness of our being, not to be satisfied with the one without the other, and to renounce the one for the other! For he would be infamous who would not die to preserve his honour.

148. We are so presumptuous that we would wish to be

Reply to
Mr. V

of God appearing in the trees, the growth of the fields, and other works of God's hands. She told her sister who lived near the heart of the town, that she once thought it a pleasant thing to live in the middle of the town, but now, says she, I think it much more pleasant to sit and see the wind blowing the trees, and to behold in the country what God has made. She had sometimes the powerful breathings of the Spirit of God on her soul, while reading the Scripture; and would express her sense of the certain truth and divinity thereof. She sometimes would appear with a pleasant smile on her countenance; and once, when her sister took notice of it, and asked why she smiled, she replied, I am brim-full of a sweet feeling within. She often used to express how good and sweet it was to lie low before God, and the lower (says she) the better! and that it was pleasant to think of lying in the dust, all the days of her life, mourning for sin. She was wont to manifest a great sense of her own meanness and dependence. She often expressed an exceeding compassion, and pitiful love, which she found in her heart towards persons in a Christless condition. This was sometimes so strong, that, as she was passing by such i

Reply to
Wooly