New Volvo purchase and some questions

Hi, I contacted this board a few weeks back on a couple of 240 purchases I was thinking of. Well I've finally made the leap and bought a 1988 240 with stick (which is what I was looking for) for my daughter.

However I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping the board can help with. The rear lights on the car are different (one has obviously been replaced at some time) , one light has chrome trim and the other black trim.

The black trimmed light has the fog light on the innermost upper segment with the brake light diagonally opposite it on the outermost lower segment (dual filament bulb).

The chrome trimmed light has the brakelight in the innermost upper segment (same as the fog position on the other one), I'm not sure where the fog is on this one!

1) Is what I've described above the defining differences for these two light clusters? I also found, online, a site that sells the rear light PCB separately from the cluster. It appears from their photograph that their PCB matches the layout on the black light I have. I'd like to have both lights match each other both cosmetically and functionally. Any thoughts?

2) Also where is the best place to purchase engine and transmission mounts? I've seen some on ebay going cheap but I have a concern that they may not be as good as ones that can be bought at IPD or FCP and that it may be a false economy.

3) and finally, the radio (aftermarket) is installed low down in the dash requiring you to take your eyes off of the road to change station, definately NOT a good thing for a young inexperienced driver!!! Is there a radio relocation kit available for the '88?

thanks again

Blair

Reply to
BlairG

From what I understand there is only suppose to be one rear fog light. This way folks won't think that your foot is asleep on the brake. Depends upon the law where you live apparently.

My wagon only has the one. Thinking of ditching the rear fog light getting another socket and having what would have been the rear fog light(s) become additional brake lights.

According to the number of rear-end accidents these days if you have a daughter you can't have too many brake lights. At least that's the way it is with my very flat nosed daughter.

Reply to
KLB

You can get the upper dash mounting kit from Crutchfield or anywhere else that sells stereo stuff. That's the factory location for '86 and later cars, though personally I always relocate them to the lower compartment where they're nice and out of the way and put a turbo guage pod in the upper location.

Reply to
James Sweet

Volvo added rear fog lights to the cars in North America in 1985. Your chrome trimmed light is from an earlier model. Note that the trim colour does not determine the "foglightness", both trim colours were used with and without fog lights. The circuit card, bulb socket and the keying of the hole in the taillight are different between the types.

Reply to
Mike F

Volvo only put a rear fog light on the left side of North American 240s. It is an easy modification to make the ones from 1985 or later work on the right side if you are handy with a soldering iron. Everything is there except for a small jumper. However, early ones are completely different.

Reply to
Stephen Henning