Newbie to Volvo World

I am looking to buy a pre-owned Volvo, preferably in the sub $11,000-12000 range with less than 90k in miles. I wish to have a wagon, but ironically, my fiancé wants a sedan. We looked at a 2000 S 70se today which had 92k in miles and the asking price was in the high 10k range. I am sure it could had for less. We both liked it a lot. However, in looking on AutoTrader and some other sites, I have found many other options that fit our criteria and are perhaps a better buy than the one we saw today. Anyway, our goal is to buy a nice looking car that will last us a few good years before the nickel and dime stuff starts happening.We will be putting around 10k a year in mileage on it at most.

I guess my questions are these: Are there any models that we should stay away from? What could be considered a good buy on a Volvo?

I figure we will be looking at the sedans more so than the wagons in the model years 1999-2002. Maybe we will get lucky.

I know this post is vague, but I am feeling under educated and any info would be greatly appreciated.

aaron

Reply to
adsf

I'm afraid that I have to agree with Jamie above. Not more than ten seconds out of warranty, my '03 XC 70 started to have major electronic glitches and little nit-picking crap going wrong that are not mileage dependent...It's at about 56K. I mean, TONS of little things. In the last year, the car has cost me a fortune in repairs. Thank God I have my Town Car to drive while that pig is in the dealer. I have an '84 200 two door turbo with only 139K on the clock and it has never failed me. I'm in real estate here in Las Vegas and if I could find a really fine '84 to '92 wagon, I'd snap it up, put a few thousand into it and wouldn't hesitate to pick anyone up in it to go and look at a 2 million dollar house. Needless to say, I think that it's obvious that I love that model.

Reply to
Admin

i've said it before, i'll say it again: the used, well-maintained 240 is the best price/performance car ever built. Period.

since 1973, I've also owned 140, 145, 240, 122, 1800E, 850, v40 in that order. The 240 was the best.

Pat Q

(sold my '91 240 last year at 170,000 miles for more than I paid for it in

2000)

Reply to
Pat Quadlander

wow. that is great information. I do like the 240 look a lot. it is what lead me to consider a volvo to begin with. perhaps I should search for a really nice older one. I too am in real estate in atlanta, so I need a car that looks sharp and wont spend all of its time in ye old repair shoppe.

aaron

Reply to
adsf

Personally, I like the 1992-1995 940s and 960s. If you need something that looks like an old luxury car, runs well, and has some nice options (heated seats are my favorite), then there is nothing better. I bought my 1993 940 new from the dealer in Sept. 1992 and the only work I have had on it is the regular maintenence and oil changes, and now it's just over 130,000 miles. No major problems so far!

Reply to
Robert