newsreaders on linux

Anyone on the group use linux for newsgroup reading?

Looking for suggestions.

I used slrn a while ago but wondering about other clients.

I would prefer a command line option.

Thanks

Reply to
Keith Barratt

Sorry, fingure trouble, wrong group

Reply to
Keith Barratt

I do, at home... Thunderbird for text groups. Pan and/or hellanzb for binaries.

oops, you said command line. There's a whole following of command line types using slrn/tin/mutt/etc. Whenever talk goes OT onto newsreaders, someone always points out alt..newsreaders, where all the GUI challenged hang out.

Reply to
clay

"Keith Barratt" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@usenet.plus.net...

If you want to to it the hard way... Within any terminal application telnet my.newsserver.address 119 connects you to your newsserver on port 119

you a list of the commands of the NNTP protocolFranz47

Reply to
franz47

Well, if you happen to use Emacs as your editor with slrn then you might try Gnus (M-x gnus). Very powerful newsreader with the benefit that it works the same in any Emacs on any platform, if you have to use other platforms sometimes.

I have heard good things about pan but have never used that; that may require GNOME.

Here's a list of options:

Tim McNamara