No Power in the cab

I am in the process of trying to Fix my 1990 740 wagon. This car died on me in town. I have towed it to my home and am trying to find out why it has no power inside the car. I have charged the bat , cleaned the cables , checked for power at the alt and starter. The starter will crank if I jump the solenoid and the alt has power. Their is no power at all on any of the connections inside the car. No dome light , No dash lights , no change with the key on or off. The

4 way flashers don't even work. The fuse panel is completely without power. I can find no trace of power inside. It is like the cab has been unplugged. The day it died I started the car and it ran fine. I turned the heater on then the lights . At this point all went dead. It was like the lights pulled to much power and something clicked off and took all power with it. After a short time the dash came back to life and the car once again started and ran fine. Upon turning on the lights still fine then when I turned the heater on high again it all died. again after a short time it all came back so this time I left the heater on low and the lights on parking lamps and all was fine. I went to town made several stops and turned the car off as many times . It always started again with no indication of trouble. Starter sounded strong , car ran fine . I stopped at a stop sign and this is where the car went dark , all power inside went out and stayed out. I have been searching for the source of this power outage for 3 days now with no luck. I can not understand why a loss of power that disables a car would also take the 4 way flashers out, as a disabled car really needs the flashers at that time. I am willing to look at all suggestions at this point . Please help. Thanks.
Reply to
mccreadys4

First place to look is at the positive battery connections. The thick wire has a thinner red wire with it which sometimes develops an open circuit by breaking it's conductors. Take the wire off the battery connector (it will probably come away in your hand) and remake the connection (I think a ring connector crimped onto fresh conductors is the way). This wire feeds the positive to the positive connector block inside the car and thence to the fuse panel, ignition switch, etc. I think it shows on the Brickboard FAQs.

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper, Volvo Owners Club (UK).
Reply to
Peter K L Milnes