Non Volvo car safety question please!

My partner (the fool) has bought one of them awful little tinny Citroen Saxo things.....very tinny....very plasticky anyway it has a Toad alarm thing fitted and after about 10seconds of driving it locks the doors itself....meant to be like a anti hijacking thing.....but what i wanna know is how safe is a car travelling with doors locked....ie if someone hits me side on will i have more trouble unlocking door? or getting it open or should it unlock itself when theres a smash or what?......is it safer with the doors unlocked ?.....can anyone please tell me....for now after the system locks the doors when im driving i just pull up the door knob and it unlocks em all........cheers for any info

Reply to
Scott

I really doubt it makes much difference, if you can't unlock the door then the latch is probably jammed anyway, you can always just break a window to get out if they're not already broken.

Reply to
James Sweet

Depends on where you are really... and a lot of personal preference. I do a lot of driving in London, sometimes at night, often on my own. I tend to do this with the doors locked (slower, less chance of a serious crash where I'd need to get out quickly). Motorway I usually drive unlocked. The CLiffird Concept 300 I had in my 440 previously had this "feature" and i found it useful - check with Toad to see if it auto unlocks when the engine stops (ie likely in a crash) or only when the ignition is turned off... the former would be better.

Alternatively, it's usually possible (often easy) to switch this feature on and off (as with many of its features...)... on the CLifford Concept, you could stop it doing this without plugging in any other equipkment - just need to read the manual to find out. Likely it's possible with the Toad alarms too (if you get annoyed with it).

Mark

Reply to
Mark Seeley

It Should be fitted with an inertia switch which undoes the doors after an impact and sometimes shuts the fuel supply. I would not worry about it anyway, because if you crash that tin box into anything then it will fold and the doors probably will need cutting open. :-)

Reply to
Andy F