OBD II

Hi guys,

Does anyone know what software & hardware are needed to retrieve the diagnostic code from an OBD II system? And is there any chance I can purchase them from, say, a service centre going out of business? _________________ Will '90 Volvo 744 GLT B230F converted to B230FB (531 Head & VX3 Cam)

Reply to
William Liao

Try a visit on Andy's site

Gives you a good start

Per Hauge

"William Liao" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@duster.adelaide.on.net...

Reply to
Per Hauge

Andy didn't reply to my enquiry about buying his hardware...... I eventually obtained an OBDII reader from a US seller only to discover (from the good peoples of this very forum) that despite being fitted with an OBDII Socket clearly marked OBDII my UK spec '850 wasn't OBDII compliant!!!!

Reply to
LaoFuZhi

"LaoFuZhi" skrev i en meddelelse news:bvrjgp$2ku$ snipped-for-privacy@sparta.btinternet.com...

In this thread you asked about hard- and software for retrieving OBDII codes. I believe the tool you have bought will do so, the interface is not that difficult to construct. However if your 850 is not OBDII compliant, obviously you can not use any tool that was intended to retrive OBDII codes. You say the connector in the car is marked OBDII. Does it actually say so on the connector? I have a 945 year 1998, with the same connector but this is not marked. On my car the fuel injection unit is not OBDII compliant, but the immobilzer, the airbag system and the ABS are, and these have their diagonstic ports terminated in the OBDII connector. Not all diagnostic software is capable of adressing these units but was only made for communication with the engine management, like motronic. I think this could be the case with your 850.

Per Hauge

Reply to
Per Hauge

For Volvo software see:

OBD

Actually Per it was someone else who asked about the hardware. My US sourced OBDII reader does not read the engine codes from my 96? (UK -N Registration)

850 10V 2 litre. And indeed the connector cover is clearly marked OBDII! So much confusion arose!!!

As it happens (if you recall my other thread) the fault on my 850 was the coolant temperature sensor. This was given away by the erratic behaviour of the indicator. I was lucky!! I relapced the sensor on Tuesday and the beast has behaved herself perfectly over the past two days... I have still to clear the fault light though but I believe the advice kindly given by both OBDII (our fellow poster) and an Australian chap will help. The simple drawing of 'flash' codes via the socket with an LED and load resistor should do the trick.......

'Tis such a pity though that Volvo chose to save a few measly pennies by not fully implimenting the standard world wide! One of the few genuine good-ideas to come out of US legislation!!!

Reply to
LaoFuZhi

If it was a really genuinely good idea, it would have been implemented so any old PC could "talk" to the car's computers through a serial cable.

Reply to
Mike F

Quite so Mike. In fact my friend had a Mercedes 180 with just this feature! RS232 port under a flap!

But at least OBDII is some way along the road to some sort of 'standard'...... WHEN they impliment it that is?

Reply to
LaoFuZhi