off topic virus attack problem since first post on this site

ive been getting hit with about 10 virus attack attempts a day since the first time i posted on this site and id like to know if anyone else is having this problem...thanks

Reply to
jo jo

Only 10 a day? I got about 5,000 virus e-mails when the SWEN virus came out. The wages of being active on Usenet, I suppose. I rarely post in this newsgroup, so I doubt that my inbox prolifity can be traced here.

Reply to
Tim McNamara

From the header of your post, I have your email address and your IP address, what else do you expect, you are pretty much an open target for hackers all over the planet.

I hope you have a VERY good firewall and you set it up for max security. I hope you are using ZoneAlarm ... While we are at it, get AVP (Anti-Viral Toolkit Pro)

- among the best AV software money can buy.

Reply to
Patrick

Reply to
jo jo

Yah, I get those virus e-mails in waves. Sometimes for 3-4 days I will get

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Reply to
Patrick

Same here; I'm down to 75-100/day, plus some idiot school in Taiwan has started sending virus notification messages back to everyone whose address is forged as the sender.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston

If you mean the so-called microsoft security update with a virus in the attachment, then yes I have posted in this site and now get up to 40 emails per week, have informed Microsoft about it and they have all sorts of information about what it is and how it is running through all kinds of email programs, I also get several messages that my email was undelivered to people I wasn't aware that I had emailed, in other words the email worm attaches itself to your identity and spreads like wildfire and sends the same virus infected executable files to thousands of unsuspecting internet surfers. My advice is to complain to Microsoft see what they say/do and for yoursake I hope you have an up to date virus program with all possible features running in real time, otherwise you risk receiving any new viruses which could hack up/destroy some or all the data on your hard drive.

Good Luck

jo jo wrote:

Reply to
Dan Harrington

Reply to
jo jo

"Hiding" your email is only half the story. First of all, there is no need to "hide it", just provide one that does not exist. Mine is snipped-for-privacy@write.com. People will understand when they see this that for whatever reasosns I prefer to communicate through this NG than by emails.

Depending on your ISP, your IP address will be visible or not. Through my ISP, my IP address would be visible, so I pay an additional $10/month for easynews. They don't show an IP address. It protects me from hackers who would want to specifically target me. It stills doesn't protect me from hackers scanning all IP to find out an open port. But I consider that every little bit help.

I had a worm 2 m>thanks to all who replied to my post

Reply to
Patrick

You wouldn't have had that worm if you had a firewall on your machine.

Cheers, Peter.

: >>

: >

: