Oil coming from radiator expansion tank!! Help

Found this under my car this morning

and on investigation under the bonnet there is oil all over the expansion chamber :-( It's been suggested to me elsewhere that its either the head gasket or the oil cooler which i believes in the radiator.

So, anyone else got any thoughts or ideas?

Oh, its a 95 850 T5 uk model in case that has any bearing.

Reply to
Donegal Paul

is the "oil" a red or pinkish color? If so, I'd go with the transmission cooler in the radiator having a leak....

Reply to
Perry Noid

"Perry Noid" said

Neither mate, it's black, I mean proper black. Its at the dealer at the moment and they've rung to say that the radiator is knackered but that they could fix it for a cool 400 UK pounds, so I'll be doing it myself! They cant rule out the head gasket, but if the rads done for, i have nothing to lose by replacing that and then getting the head gasket tested.

Reply to
Donegal Paul

If it's black it's most likely engine oil coming from the head gasket, not the radiator. You can look for bubbles in the tank with the lid off as a possible (but not conclusive) indicator, or get it TK or pressure tested. Look for water in the sump oil too.

Reply to
jg