Oil filter cup

Good grief, just how tight can you get the oil filter cup screwed onto its mounting base? Got the 2004 XC90 serviced for the 60K mile mark a few months back. It is ready for an oil change and getting that oil filter cup off is just not happening.

After dropping the under carriage cover to access the oil drain, what do I find looking at me? I see one transmission cover plate bolt laying on the under carriage cover and two other bolts are backed out of their torque positions. Not happy when I found that. I do not think that is something that occurred by itself.

I got the specs for the pan to re-torque the bolts. Then comes the oil filter cup, it just isn't moving. I will have to get a heavier duty cup tool to spin that thing off, two I did have, and ruined, were not at all that durable, just stamped steel, 3/8 drive. I hate to think I might have to use my impact wrench. I never screwed that think on as tight as the mechanic did during the 60K checkup.

This is my first vehicle with a oil filter cup, I question the thought on that.

Reply to
Roger Hamilton

Service at Volvo dealers is sometimes of very poor quality. I had something similar happening to my S90. Since then, I've been doing the oil change myself.

Reply to
Someone