Oil in spark plug cavities

Hi all,

I recently (last week) bought a 1990 740 GLE wagon with the 16 Valve DOC engine and 112K miles. I'm gradually checking things over.

Facts:

  1. It runs very well and the first tank of gas showed 22.4 mpg. (I realize that it takes several tanks to find an "average".
  2. It passed it's licensing emissions test in Seattle in April with no problem.
  3. After the first tank I looked at the air filter and found that it was almost impossible to see daylight through it. Replaced it immediately. hopefully that will help the economy.

So much for all that.

Today I decided to have a look at the plugs. What I found was liquid oil in the cavity surrounding the plugs. Number 1 had the most (enough that I was able to suck it out with a small (1/4") neoprene hose. Number 2 had much less and the others even less.

Possible sources ?

  1. I feel that there's too much oil in the engine to begin with, it's above the line. 2. Could it be a leaking valve cover gasket ?

All the best,

Perk (:>)

Reply to
Perk

I don't know a lot about the 16 valve engine, but I do know that they are more likely to leak oil from the top end than the 8 valve engines. Check around the distributor drive, if that's up top. Hopefully someone with actual experience with that engine will fill you in.

Oh, and make sure the flame trap is clear. See the attached text file.

Reply to
Michael Cerkowski

It could be that previous owner spilled some when adding oil.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Reply to
Boris Mohar

Have you seen this topic "Oil seepage on 16 valve Volvo motor..." Here is the conversation:

Greeings All,

I have an '89 Volvo 740 GLE (16 valve head) that is seeping oil into the plug valleys. Some cylinders are worse than others but all are exhibiting some seepage. The oil doesn't seem to be coming from the valve cover gasket but from another seam that is half-way down the hole to the plug. I don't have a decent book for the engine so I really can't figure out what this seam represents; is it part of the valve cover assembly or is it part of the head itself? Any help on this matter is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ray Dzurney snipped-for-privacy@ix.netcom.com

Reply:

It is the cover , it's actually the top seals at the tops of the plug tubes remove the cover to replace.

Email: "Jack Stands."

Perk wrote:

Reply to
austjeremy