oil leak - 1990 volvo 740 gle 16 valve

My car is leaking oil under the engine. It is dripping from where the oil pan is and where the square pan is that has a bolt in the middle of it, which is near the oil pan. I don't think it is leaking from the oil pan bolt because it has a new brass gasket on it. It looks like it is leaking down the pan itself. It seems like it might be coming from the passangers side because there is more drips on that side. Although this could be caused by this side being lower then the other.It seems like maby it is comming from above. (Sorry, I don't know much about cars). It is not leaking a lot of oil, although oil stain is noticable after sitting 8 hours. My car was not leaking oil before I had the head gasket and lifters replaced. In addition, I also had the timing belt and the associated seals replaced as well. It is kind of annoying, I mean all that work and now my engine is leaking. The question I have is this: Do you think that the oil leak is caused by having the head job done? Could it be caused by the increased compression from the new head gasket and lifters? I don't want to blame my mechanic for something that he did not do. Although if he caused the problem, I would like him to fix it. Can you give me some ideas where the leak might be coming from, preferable something easy to fix. Should I change my oil from synthetic to regular. Would that help? Would regular oil clog up my new lifters?

Reply to
austjeremy

If you were using regular oil before you did the head gasket etc. and now you are using synthetic, I would suspect that is the problem. Switching back won't help. There is an article on the Volvo Brickboard about replacing the lower engine seals, but I can't get the Brickboard to respond at the moment.

Reply to
Andrew McKenna

I have used synthetic oil in the past and it was just fine. What are the front engine seals? I had the typical seals replaced with the timing belt. Are those the front engine seals? The main thing that I'm trying to find out is if my mechanic caused the leaks. I do not want to blame him for something that he did not do. Although there where no oil leaks before the top end rebuild.

Reply to
austjeremy

While we're waiting for someone better informed than me to pitch in: I said lower engine seals, not front. You don't say why you needed to replace the head gasket. A not uncommon cause of oil leaks, and blown head gaskets, is failure to replace the flame trap regularly, because it gunks up. The oil might be coming from the oil pan gasket, being the next weakest point after the head gasket, but the fundamental problem might be crankcase overpressure caused by the gunked up flame trap.

There have been lots of posts to this ng about replacing the flame trap. If this is the problem, the failure isn't the fault of the mechanic who replaced the head gasket unless he (she) is the one who also does the regular maintenance, and should have known to replace it about every

25,000k.
Reply to
Andrew McKenna

I'm not sure what distributor that engine uses, but if they pulled the distributor, maybe the o-rings need replacing. I know mine (B230F

8-valve) leaks oil and I have a replacement set on order now for when I do my valve-shims next week.

Andrew McKenna wrote:

Reply to
Jamie

Forgot to add -- it's an easy check. Just feel all around and under the distributor when the engine is cool. It's the device that all of your spark plug wires connect to. If it's mounted on the rear of the engine, it will have oil seals.

If you can get under the car with a flashlight, try and chase the leak to the source.

Andrew McKenna wrote:

Reply to
Jamie

I replaced the flame trap already about a month ago. When I did it, the flam trap was not clogged. In addition, all of the hoses leading from it were fine. Furthermore, the brass nipple was also clear.

Reply to
austjeremy

If you want to know the situation regarding my blown head gasket read my earlier post entitled "my mechanic ruined my car." I just got the car back a few days ago. Note that that post was dated around the 27 of May. For a summary, there was oil in my coolant, and coolant in my oil, and my car would shake like mad when I started it up. Presumably, this was caused by water leaking into the engine.

In addition, I don't think the oil is comming from the oil pan. In fact, there is more oil dripping off of the square pan. I don't know what that is called. There are a lot of drips coming of of the passengers side of that pan. It seems that if anything is leaking in that general area it will seem like it coming from the oil pan.

Reply to
austjeremy

I would also like to add that the engine was not leaking when I replaced the flame trap. I was doing it because I have done a lot of research and that was something that was recommended.

Reply to
austjeremy

Typically the 16v motors leak from the balance shaft housings or seals. The square pan you keep mentioning is the transmission oil pan. The cross shaft seal on the right hand side gets cooked by the head pipe and leaks after time.

Bob

Reply to
User