Oil leak, near filter 90 740T

My 1990 740T with 280K miles is leaking a oil at the oil cooler fittings near the oil filter. My mechanic tried to tighten them but they would not budge and still leak. If I got new and replaced why would that solve the problem...maybe the leak is from another source? Anyone with similar situation?

I tried to find the parts to online to purchase but can't find a source. Mechanic says only dealer has these parts. I'll do the work but would like to "see" the parts online to make sure I have the correct "description" of the problem. If not I'll take a digital picture and make the long drive to the city to the nearest BMW dealer.

Any advice, recommendations?

Reply to
Dave A.

Dave A. wrote: make the long drive to

Since you posted this in a Volvo news group I advice against BMW dealers. If you do have a BMW, please disregard from the following!

I assume you have a Volvo Turbo, and assuming the design is the same as my 240 Turbo. The thing between the block and the oil filter may leak in three places:

- Between itself and the block. There is a large o-ring in there.

- At either of the two banjo fittings for the oil cooler pipes.

In either case I think the oil seeps downwards and appears to come from one of the banjo fittings.

Mine leaked, so I got the complete kit (four aluminum "washers" for the banjos and in addition the rubber O-ring).

Clean the outside in order to prevent dirt into oil. Loosen the banjos. Oil spill was less than I had expected. You then remove the oil filter, then there is a big nut which makes the "oil filter base" come off. Take it off, install new washers and O-ring, reinstall. On my 240 it's a terribly awkward place to work. I did it mostly from above with the turbo removed, I seem to remember. No leak since however! Since it is so awkward, I recommend replacing all the seals.

Reply to
Gunnar Eikman