Oil leaking from dipstick

Hi, I have a 91' 780 Turbo. It had a small problem with burning oil, not too bad but noticeable, so I added some "Barr's Engine Repair" additive. I did some looking around on the net and did not really read anything bad about Barr's products so I added it.

I checked my oil a few times after adding the bottle and the level remained fairly stable for 800 miles or so and then finally added about a 1/2 quart of oil when the dipstick was showing it was a half a quart low. This was weeks after adding the Barr's. I noticed today a smell from the air ducts almost like exhaust so I checked underneath the hood. The dipstick was pushed up and there had been some oil sprayed out into the engine compartment.

The car seems to be fine but I am not sure if I should panic or not? The car has roughly 175k I believe and has always been very reliable. Is it possible that I just did not push the dipstick in all of the way (I think it was dark when I last checked oil level) or do you think that something more sinister is going on?

thanks, CTV

Reply to
Cartrivision1

You'll want to check the crankcase ventilation system, there's a breather block on the box and tubing from that to what should be an empty flame trap holder to the intake pipe on the turbo. I would not use any additives in the oil, especially in a turbocharged car. The oil manufactures know what they're doing so use a quality full synthetic, a good filter (Mann or Volvo) and change both every 5K and your engine and turbo should serve you well for many years. Definitely do check things over though, if the dipstick blew out you're lucky it wasn't your rear main seal.

Reply to
James Sweet

Standing on the left side of the car facing the throttle spool locate the vacuum nipple towards you left hand that goes to the flame trap nipple. The brass nipple screwed into the manifold is plugged solid. Clean it out and service the PCV system.

Bob

Reply to
User

yup!

just cleaned my system , and the car got better mpg , too!

so , do a search on pvc system, flame trap, breather box.....

check out the other forums, tbricks.com and volvospeed.com

now, you have to pull the intake manifold, it is easy, and then replace the intake gasket....this is 7 bucks...

believe me, you will think you have a new car after this......

and this stuff should be done...

pull all the hoses and clean them up ans best as possible...then run synthetic,.....it has a lower vaporization point, so less gets clogged in the pcv system.....

BTW, ur prolly leaking oil out the oil fill cap, too.....

a simple test,.....run the car and take off the oil cap....you should feel a little vacuum when you put your hand on the fill whole....

now, in your situation, you take of the oil fill cap, and you prolly get a few puffs of smoke....this means you have pressure built up in the crank case.....ans this is why your oil stick popped....

took me two nites...but I work slow, and also worked on the exhuast gasket....

do it.....do it now!

big al

User wrote:

Reply to