One light always on

Have a '92 Volvo 240GL. The right rear brakelight is the problem. When I put the bulb in with just the car lights on, all lights are fine except for the right brake light. It is lit up in the "brake applied" position(brighter than the normal taillight). When I push the brake with it like this, the fuse blows. The circuit board was pretty old and raggy, so I have replaced it and problem still exists. Both brake lights are new. I can't figure out what is causing this? With the right brake light removed (this is the only way I can press the brakes without blowing the fuse) everything works fine...including the left brake light and the 3rd (rear window light) brake light.

Can anyone help me? I don't know what is going on.

Reply to
goobulator

Look at the wiring inside the car, it's possible one of the wires has chafed and is shorting to ground.

Reply to
James Sweet

Reply to
<djmcreynolds1

Something is screwed up in the way the taillight is wired, or maybe you have the wrong bulb holder. What you're going to have to do is compare your taillight circuit boards, and make sure that the bad one is an exact mirror image of the good one, right down to bulb holders and which wires connect where. Removing the taillights from the car may be the best way to accomplish this.

Reply to
Mike F

I vote for the holder. Wiring shorts should blow the fuse regardless of whether the bulb is in or not, unless I'm missing something.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I thought about that too, but I used the left brake light holder for the right and it still does the same thing. I can't tell any difference at all between the holders, but I could be wrong.

Reply to
goobulator

Are you sure you have the right bulbs? For example, dual filament bulbs instead of single filament?

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Yes...I even bought 2 new bulbs to make sure nothing was wrong with the bulbs.

Reply to
goobulator

Be sure that isn't like still getting a wrong number when using redial... they should be dual filament (two contact patches on the end instead of one.)

Did this just start one day, or was it after changing something?

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Going up a couple of posts... The bulb holder for the brake/tail should be noticeably different from left to right, black on the left and white on the right. (All other holders should be black, and identical from left to right, and this info only applies to sedans, wagons use black holders all around.)

Reply to
Mike F

Hmmm....I actually have all black holders. It has been working for many years with those holders though.

Car is actually my girlfriends, so I don't always have it to work on or check things out.

Problem just started to happen, I didn't change anyth> Michael Pardee wrote:

instead of

directly.

Reply to
goobulator

Actually, all the bulb holders are black. The problem just started happening. It is actually my girlfriend's car, so I don't have it to work on all the time. I think it has got to be a short somewhere though. I need to try and find a manual for it to see some wiring diagrams. Does anyone know if the wiring to the right taillight is feeding from the left taillight...or how it is run?

Mike F wrote:

instead of

directly.

Reply to
goobulator

With the wrong holder (assuming a 3 contact holder for a double filament bulb), all that happens is the taillight comes on during braking and vice versa. Both taillight and brake lights are fed separately from the bulb failure relay, which is under the dash, so they have their own wires. (Left and right taillights are even on different fuses.) There's a third "tail light" wire that bypasses the bulb failure relay used for the license lights.

license light - white left tail - red right tail - brown left brake - yellow-gray right brake - yellow

My guess is the bulb holder is either defective (2 of the metal conductive strips are touching) or the part of the metal contact strip that touches the circuit board is bridging 2 circuit board traces.

Reply to
Mike F