Ontario Drive Clean

I own a 1998 S70 with just over 108,000 Km. I had an emmissons test done recently and I have a question about the readings.

test limit read last year

HC ppm 67 2 2

CO% .37 .01 .01

NO ppm 501 498 2

What would cause ppm of NO to go so high this year, and is it something I should have dealer look at?? I am still under extended warranty for 6 more months.

Thanks in advance ....

Reply to
Brian Dickinson

Have you had recent maintenance done? ie: change spark plugs, air filter Winter gas in Ontario isn't the best. PCV valve?

Catalytic can indeed raise NO without raising CO, but the levels you have would indicate that the catalyst is ok, which is usually covered by a longer warranty (emissions are usually 8 years and xkms...)

Your dealer would be able to give you a better answer, but use a good brand of premium fuel from a newer gas station, like Sunoco (meaning, they've changed their tanks recently, which if you live in Toronto, there are hardly any old stations left.

Reply to
Myron Samila

Thanks for the info ...

I've had all regular maintance done on schedule and by the dealer. Spark plugs, PVC ect ect were change only 10,000 kms ago . I use only High Test gas ... usually Sunoco or Pioneer.

It was the dealer that did the Drive Clean for me, and they said not to worry about the reading.

Also , in last 3 months my mileage has gone from 100kms per 10 liters , to approx. 80kms per 10 liters.

Reply to
Brian Dickinson

Don't worry too much about the higher numbers. Emissions are high until the catalytic convertor fully heats up. The Drive Clean test aborts the cycle as soon as it's obvious the car will pass, so as the cat was heating up, NOx were dropping, and as soon as the level passed below the maximum, the test ended and those numbers were printed on the sheet.

Reply to
Mike F