Opinions on '98 V70 XC

Hello,

I am going to buy a V70 XC of 98 vintage in the near future. Can this groups offer some opinions as to its reliability?

TIA

-Wei snipped-for-privacy@ucdavis.edu

Reply to
NA

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (NA) opined in news:791c9a5e.0405031355.2ff8def0 @posting.google.com:

My aunt in Chicago bought a '98 and loves it. She purchased it new and has put about 80K on it with no problems.

Reply to
Graefaxe

Wei;

Have you had a look at the (consumer) reviews and (JD Powers) ratings at

?

Reply to
Eunoia Eigensinn

We have a 98 V70XC and an 02 S60AWD. At 28K miles, the S60 probably should be running just as well as it is - better and better (mileage, smoothness, etc.).

The V70 has had one service-related issue (it's at just under 80K miles) which seems to crop up in mentions here on the Volvo NG. The ABS control module failed about 10K miles ago. No problem other than the ABS light coming on repeatedly, so it was replaced under the extended warranty I carry.

The AWD has been needed a number of times over the past six winters and has proved to be totally seamless in operation. We could not be happier with both the viscous AWD of the 98 and the clutched Haldex system of the 02. My friendly mechanic tells me that significant repairs have been needed on two 98's that he works with. Very, *very* expensive AWD parts, but *both* repairs were associated with accidents, so no fault.

bob noble Reno, NV, USA

Reply to
Bob Noble