Overdrive Disable

Hi, My '87 245 automatic has overdrive, and it gets stuck in the lower gear (I have read that it is 3rd). Actually it is intermittent, the arrow goes on and off and it sticks accordingly. Really, it seems to work like a passing gear, kicking into 3rd to pick up speed uphill...and it has gone whacko.

I really don't think I need the OD option, can I just disconnect a fuse or something and make it run like a normal car? so to speak...I read that I can change the relay and fuse etc to fix it, but if I pull the fuse will it run normally, as if it did not have the OD option, or will it not go past the lower gear?

Dan

Reply to
denverexec2000

You need to feed power to the solenoid at all times for the overdrive to work. NO power means NO OD.

At relay socket, pull relay, make a safe jumper between blue and white.

Duane

Reply to
Duane

IPD sells a product which cures the problem, permanently.

79&NodeIDU36&RootIDb9

Reply to
Mr. V

You could bypass it, but it's a lot easier to just resolder the relay behind the dash to the left of the glove box. Takes about 20 minutes from start to finish.

Reply to
James Sweet