Overdrive problems again - j sweet help?

Hello,

Have gone back and read threads on o/d problems from the recent past and have seen jsweet's advice in particular.

Details: '92 240 wagon, 150k miles. Everything working fine but overdrive. (automatic for the record)

Replaced solenoid; rusted out and a mess. I have a good volvo only mechanic who said he never saw an overdrive *not* come back with a new solenoid. We also checked switch, relay, wiring, etc. and everything there is fine. Using o/d switch on/off , we can hear click inside, and solenoid clicking under car. So, at this point, we're assuming its not electrical. As a last resort before possible transmission replacement, mechanic suggests taking vehicle to a place that can do a "pressure flush" of transmission and then replace fluid.

Btw, the overdrive has come back maybe a half dozen times on the highway at around 60-65 mph and car drove fine until I got off highway, stopped and re-accelerated at which point it went back to no o/d. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Reply to
jsmit

When flushing the old fluid try removing the sump plate and cleaning the filter screen and making sure that the valve ports are clean. Remove any dirt from the solenoid ports and replace the two little O-rings, then fill with fresh clean fluid of correct spec.

All the best, Peter.

Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

Since it works when you at higher speeds, and you stated that the solenoid was a rusted out mess it probable was not used for some time. It probably has a lot of gunk, crud, etc. in it. These work off an internal fluid pump like an oil pump and I suspect that there is enough of this filth blocking passages or the sump screen that it only works at higher speed when the fluid has gotten hot and the pump is working harder (faster) then usual. I would recommend any sort of flush or pressure washing that the mechanic recommends. If it begins working better after that, run it for about 100 miles with regular use of the OD, and then change the fluid again.

snipped-for-privacy@nothomexyz.com wrote:

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

I'm sure the mechnic checked but to be sure,

is the downshift cable "working" correctly as opposed to "adjusted" correctly?

Duane

Reply to
Duane

Thanks to everyone who replied. Off to the pressure flush we go.

Reply to
jsmit

There was a post sometime ago that stated that if you remove the solenoid the center O-Ring & with a very good die grinder make a notch on the inside of the solenoid where the center O-Ring sits & the outer this suposeldy will give you overdrive without the electronics I can not state weither this works or not have not had any older cars to try this on my self to verify

Reply to
Glenn Klein