Overheating

My 1990 240 overheated yesterday, the needle just climbing to the bottom of the red zone on the temp gauge in stop and go traffic. On the highway at 60 mph the temp would drop down almost to normal. When I got home I looked under the hood and saw indications of boiling coolant in the overflow reservoir. The car ran just fine. Coolant level is at the minimum mark on the tank.

It's been running just a bit warm when the air temps is above 80F. My guess is plugged up radiator. Goes into the shop Monday AM.

Reply to
Tim McNamara

It could also be a failed fan clutch. The fan is supposed to freewheel when cold and engage when hot. I'm not sure whether they used the bimetallic strip or the fluid-type clutch on a 1990, but both are known to fail.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Bradley

Sounds like the fan clutch to me, I've also seen this on mine when the wire came off the switch for the electric aux fan on the front, I'm not sure if the non-turbo cars have that though.

Reply to
James Sweet
Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

Ah. Something else to consider and would be in keeping with having decent cooling at highway speed and poor cooling in stop-and-go traffic.

What would be the effect of this on mileage? I've been getting great mileage lately.

I'd pondered installing an electronic fan conversion a few times in the past, hoping to improve mileage and responsiveness. Is this a worthwhile conversion? If so, I might just go that route if it's the fan clutch that's shot.

Reply to
Tim McNamara

No auxiliary fan on my car.

Reply to
Tim McNamara

Sticking thermostat?

Reply to
Mr. V

Well, the mechanic checked it out and flushed the system, checked the radiator, checked for pressure leaks, replaced the thermostat and replaced the temp gauge sender as that's has always functioned rather intermittently. It stayed in the normal range on the highway, in stop and go traffic and while idling for the mechanic. I'll give it a good run tomorrow.

Reply to
Tim McNamara

With the old sender, the gauge tended to not work if the air temperature was above about 55F- the needle just stayed at the bottom. Once in a while it would come to life, such as in the recent overheating scenario. In the winter it seemed to work fine. Today with new sender, I saw some of what you are describing. The car ran like a top.

Reply to
Tim McNamara