Petrol tank capacity

ANother question about my 1990 740 SE Auto Estate.

Does anybody know that capacity (prefreably in litres) of the petrol tank?

Many thanks,

Richard

Reply to
Richard Setford

As far as I recall it is 65ltrs. But will tell you in the handbook.

Andy

Reply to
Virgin News

I'm trying to source a handbook. Does anyone know if there is a PDF version availalbe for download from anywhere?

Thanks again,

Richard

Reply to
Richard Setford

Richard

I got it wrong. Checked my handbook (UK 1989 740 Estate) and it says 60ltr

13.2 gallon capacity. Always amazes me that when I have run the tank 'dry' I have been able to get nearly 65ltrs in. Anyway 60ltr is the official capacity for a 1989 740 in the Uk (excluding a car fitted with a long range tank which Volvo produced for some of their saloons around that time).

Hope this helps.

Regards

Reply to
Andy Coles

Thanks very much for verifying that for me.

Much appreciated.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Setford

They come up periodically on ebay.

If you see a *black* cover Haynes manual, grab that too - it is far more informative than the blue cover version, although the models covered are only up to 1989 - it probably won't cover your type of fuel injection.

Reply to
Stewart Hargrave

yea...my 1993 940t manual states 19.2 gall cap...i put in 21 gal the other day.....i guess the diff is the "reserve"

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^
19.2 galls ? You must have the long range tank. I had similar on my 1989 760 turbo it held 85 ltrs which is about the same. Cost a fortune to fill from empty and was hard to fill right to the top.
Reply to
Andy Coles

andy...lets see...i have my manual in front of me...1993 940.. under capasities...page 9:9 fuel tank (aprox) ... 19.8 us gal / 75 liters...

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

I regularly was able to put high 70's low 80's Ltrs in and on occasion more, no explanation really, I didn't think the spout held that much.

Reply to
Andy Coles

I have two 93 940's one sedan & one wagon. The sedan holds 21.x & the wagon holds 19.8 US Gal.

Harold

Reply to
grtdane63

Your 740 wagon has a tank capacity of 65 Litres. It is possible to squeeze a couple more in if you are careful, however it is not recommended. For interest facelift 760 saloons had 80 Litre capacity (due to IRS and an extra tank) whereas pre-facelift 760 saloons had an extra tank in the trunk.

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter K L Milnes