power window failure 98 V70 GLT

my driver's side window is 3/4 down and will not power back upward

it is 3/4 down because when it first wouldn't power up I made the mistake of hitting the button downward again so it works going down but not up

can this ever be a simple issue or does it involve replacing the motor that runs the window and if that is the case can one save by getting one from a Volvo at a junkyard ?

also does anyone know if this is something someone who works on cars but not Volvos can do in his garage or is it a big job specific to Volvo?

any advice would be welcome this is coming at a bad time financially

thanks

Reply to
daffy

1st i would stop by your local Volvo dealer & purchase a master window switch & then see what happens you may have other problems with your window but this is a starting point Glenn K Volvo Certified Technician 2008 ASE Certified Technician 2008
Reply to
GlennK

thanks to GlennK -- I should also give some more info that I thought of later. The passenger side window powers up and down normally when operated from the driver's panel. The rear windows however will power DOWN but not UP from the driver's panel. my question is, if it were the master window switch, would the passenger side window still power up and down from that panel? is a master window switch a lot of money or could that be gotten from a Volvo that was not too old from a junkyard as well? also someone told me this might be "a chain" issue. I didn't hear anything snap as the friend who had a chain snap heard. I just hope this is not major. I also need to replace my A/C condenser and will soon need a new set of tires and I have been thinking frankly of using one of those clunker vouchers and just getting a hybrid. I drive mostly in the city and this car is very nice but gets about 14 or 15 mpg in town, and I hate that.

Reply to
daffy

It's most likely the switch. Sometimes you can take the switch apart and burnish the contacts if you're careful, but it's not terribly expensive to replace. They can be purchased online for less than it cost at the dealer.

Reply to
James Sweet