Power Window question

The drivers window on my 1997 850 is extremely slow, and sometimes has to be helped for the first 2 inches on the way down. It's fine the rest of the way, and works better on the way up, though the last 2 inches is still slow. Is this a window motor problem, or is it just some sort of mechanical issue like a part that needs lube?

Reply to
Tom Henderson

Lubing the power window mechnanics should be done as regular service. Problem is nobody actually does it, because you need to remove the doorpanel.

/Patrik

Reply to
Patrik

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Patrik) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

So you're saying thatit's likely the mechanical part of the system, not the motor?

Reply to
Tom Henderson

The window is so close to the back of the door, there's no room for the track where the lock mechanism is. So there's a separate lower track, with it's own rubber/felt slider. These never line up 100% perfectly, and the felt part wears off the rubber, and causes binding. If you're really energetic, you can swap those short rubber pieces from left door to right, and use the unworn side. (You'll see what I mean if you do this.) If you're less energetic you can use some automotive spray silicone on the track, but you'll have to do that on an ongoing basis.

Reply to
Mike F

I've used a silicone spray on the tracks of my front windows (V40). It was a great help and there was no need to repeat this until now (it's been 2 years now). Perhaps Tom never has to repeat the lubrication again...? (even for his rear windows).

R.

Reply to
RedePrimaria