Power windows won't go up all the way....

Its a 92 740 wagon. The window goes up to about 1/8 in of the top, and then there is a loud clack-clack-clack and vibration. Opened up the door and found that the driven arm with gear teeth is is somehow out of position, the pinion is going all the way to the last/top tooth and just beyond , so at that point it starts slipping, as there is not another tooth to engage. Really needs to be fixed because of the loud wind noise on the highway. Does motor need to be unmounted to be able to re-position the arm one or two teeth further down? Or is it the end of the drive arm that has to be disconnected from the window? I am not sure how to do either. The motor seems to be installed with two rivets. DOn't have a clue how to disconnect the arm. Thanks, Geronimo

Reply to
geronimo

Looked closer at the driven arm, and actually the last five teeth (at top of arm) are gone. I think a new arm could only be obtained from a junked 740, and then there is the extreme difficulty of replacing it....so I guess I will just glue a piece of weather stripping into the window lip, and live with it. Geronimo

Reply to
geronimo

--

Hi James,

I had a 1988, 740 sedan some years ago with power window problems which necessitated pulling the mechanism out a couple of times before I had it fixed. While a bit of a pain to do, removing the glass etc is no big deal and if you can get the new mechanism, it's a pretty straight forward job needing no special tools or skills. Just use common sense, don't force anything to do with the glass and you'll be ok.

regards Barry

Reply to
Baz

Extreme difficulty? Replacing the window regulator is not all that hard, last one I did took about 20 minutes, hardest part was holding the window glass up while I got the new mechanism in place, had I had a friend to help out that would have made it easier. A 740T wagon is a fantastic car, no reason to ghetto rig it.

Reply to
James Sweet

"ghetto rig".......thats a good way to put it ;-)

Reply to
geronimo