Prewired 850 CD Changer?

Swapping radios between my '93 and '96 850s to troubleshoot a speaker problem, I noticed that the '96 had a bundle of wires going into the back of the radio where it was marked "CD". It has the "Premium" radio but after examination, I can't see where a changer had ever been installed (I bought the car used.) My question is; is this car already prewired to accept the remote changer? If it is, where is the "standard" mounting and where might I find the other end of the bundle? Certainly, this is for the Volvo changer, but at the @ $800 I was quoted several years ago at my Volvo dealer, is there a cheaper alternative that would have a common fitting or are there adapters available that would make this a fairly easy installation?

Cheers, Randy in Pittsburgh

Reply to
Randy Hass

On my '98 S70, the end of that wire is tied to a metal brace below the trunk carpet just behind the power antenna. There are Alpine changers that work with the Volvo radio, but they're wired slightly differently and have to have their own adapter cable plugged into the radio.

Reply to
Mike F

Mike, didn't IPD used to sell a wiring kit for this exact CD changer (the Alpine 6 CD on the left side of the trunk floor)?

This was a dealer installed option on my '98 S70 when I bought it new, and I picked it. I remember pretty much the same thing a few months later in the IPD catalog, but in the glovebox instead of the trunk. Of course, the IPD parts cost less than dealer parts + installation.

By the way, to everyone out there, I think it is a good CD player. You have to hit a really big bump- bigger than speed bumps in parking lots- and hit it really hard to make the player skip. I think it has skipped a handful of times in the five years I've had it. It also plays CD-Rs (but not CD-RW). Price on the other hand, is not so good... :)

Reply to
Jim Carriere

Thanks for the info guys. I'm off and running and will do further research to see if I can install the Alpine changer. If the adapter is available, it sounds like it would not be all that difficult. Looks like the wiring is already, there so half the battle is over.

Randy

Reply to
Randy Hass

I'm pretty fuzzy on details, I've not seen the need to add a trunk mount

6 pack or even the glove box mount version (there's little enough storage at the front as it is) since I have the single CD in dash. Interestingly a friend had a base '98 S70 that didn't have this prewiring (or the in dash CD).
Reply to
Mike F

Check your local Volvo dealer as the price of the CD Changer has dropped drastically in the past few months if you have the option & purchase from the dealer do not purchase a exchange unit just purchase a new unit

Reply to
G Klein