Problem with '95 850 AT

Our '95 850 with automatic transmission has a quirky problem. Going down steep hills I shift from drive to "3". About 10 to 20 seconds going down hill the transmission makes a shift, or at least does something that causes the engine to rev up, then it shifts back to 3rd, goes into limp mode, flashes the yellow transmission arrow, and turns on the check engine light.

After turning the ignition off and back on, the computer resets, the transmission works normally. After about 2 hours of driving, the flashing yellow arrow goes out and just the check engine light stays on.

When my wife drives the car she leaves it in drive and there never is a problem. It only occurs when I drive the car and shift down.

The first time I took it to the dealer, he said that it was the speed sensor and replaced that. Then it occurred again and they said it was the speed sensor. When I balked, they said is the the speed sensor on the output side which is different. Well, I got the car back yesterday and it happened again today.

I called the dealer and told him I am not going to throw any more money at the problem. I knew the solution, to not down shift. They want to look some more. I told them it would be at their own expense.

Any ideas. The first time the engine code was 2-4-1 and they changed the EGR valve. Then the light came back on and the code was for incorrect gear ratio, vehicle sensor output side. Then, again the light came on and the code was the same. This has cost well over a $1000 for a non-problem.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

I do not know what the problem is, but I would get the Volvo zone involved.

3 unrequired repairs at your expense is enough. I think three times is the criteria for the lemon law as well!

I would ask for your $1000 back and for the zone to have a qualified tech diagnose the car.

Volvo Customer Care Center For questions about the Volvo you currently own.

Volvo Cars of North America, LLC Attn: Volvo Customer Care Center

7 Volvo Drive Rockleigh, New Jersey 07647

Tel: 1-800-458-1552 Email: snipped-for-privacy@volvocars.com Hours: 8:30 AM to 7:00 PM EST, M - F

Reply to
Steve n Holly

OK, thanks much,

Yes this is the third time:

1st time replaced the throttle position sensor, 2nd time replaced the vehicle speed sensor, 3rd time replaced the output speed sensor and the problem still exists.
Reply to
Stephen Henning

My 94 850 Turbo Wagon did (probably still does) the same thing and after I realized that it happened only when the transmission was in "3", I stopped using "3". Problem over. My Volvo dealer said they could find the problem but it would cost money and since it wasn't a serious problem they didn't recommend trying to fix it.

Reply to
Mick Ruthven

Please post how you make out, Stephen!

Reply to
Steve n Holly

I am going in Thursday to meet with the dealership.

Here is what I put together:

In December of 2003, a problem occurred while the car was descending a hill at about 45 mph and the automatic transmission had been in 3 for about 10 to 15 seconds. The car started to shift for no reason then the yellow transmission arrow light started flashing, the check engine light came on, and the car went into limp mode. Shutting the car off and restarting got it out of limp mode and it worked normally except the transmission arrow was flashing and the check engine light was still on. This problem has occurred 5 times. After a few days, the transmission arrow will stop flashing by itself. The check engine light stays on.

12-16-03 Tom: Check engine light is on and the transmission arrow is flashing. Technician checked for codes, removed air filter housing and checked wire connector at the top of the transmission. Checked speed sensor connector at the bottom of the transmission. All O.K. Cancelled the codes and test-drove 3 times. Light did not come back on. $76.00+tax

3-15-04 Tom: Check engine light is on. The transmission arrow was flashing. Technician checked for codes, found 3 abs codes and 1 transmission code. Traced abs codes to faulty pedal position sensor. Replaced bake pedal sensor. The code for the transmission (322) could lead to seven different components. Reset the code and will see if any transmission codes come back in the future. $175.78+tax

5-19-04 Tom: Check engine light is on and the transmission arrow is flashing. Checked for codes and found code 322 (again). Checked fault tracing in the manual and traced to a faulty vehicle speed sensor. Ordered part. $39.75+tax

7-6-04 Tom: Installed vehicle speed sensor $127.98+tax

12-8-04 Jessica: Check engine light is on. Checked for codes and found code 241 - EGR valve faulty. Replaced. $427.62+tax

12-22-04 Amy: Check engine light is on. The transmission arrow was flashing. Checked for codes and found code for incorrect gear ratio. Vehicle speed sensor output side. Connected breakout box on car and tested sensors shift solenoid resistance OK. Ordered speed sensor output side. Transmission oil fine. $159.00+tax

1-5-05 Amy: Installed vehicle speed sensor output side. $218.58+tax

1-7-05 Called Robert to report same problem that has occurred 4 times previously. Appointment for 1-13-04 Total expended to date: 7 visits and $1224.71+tax

I researched the problem on the internet and Mick Ruthven reported he had the same problem: "My 94 850 Turbo Wagon did (probably still does) the same thing and after I realized that it happened only when the transmission was in "3", I stopped using "3". Problem over. My Volvo dealer said they could find the problem but it would cost money and since it wasn't a serious problem they didn't recommend trying to fix it."

"Steve n Holly" wrote:

Reply to
Stephen Henning

I had a look in my manual last night (which is for '96-, but should be similar to your '95). The 32x code indicates incorrect gear ratio for gear x, so your code is for second gear, which shouldn't happen in position 3, unless there's something wrong with your mode (SEW) switch. From what I read, and from your symptoms, I'd start with the adjustment of the shifter cables and the pnp switch. If it was still happening, then I'd change the pnp switch as it's a known weak point.

The final 2 "checks" in the manual are: Test with a new transmission control unit, and Test with a new transmission.

Reply to
Mike F

Thanks Mike. The dealer called to tell me that the Regional Rep will be out to talk it over. I will make sure that he gets this information. Also, I offered to take them out and cause the light to go on, since they never have involved me in the diagnostics. I think you have made a big breakthrough.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

After thinking about it a week, the dealer talked to the Regional Rep and agreed to replace the mode switch at half-cost. They will not try any adjustments first.

I was wondering one more thing. Could there be a motor-mount problem so that when the car is running on compression the engine-transmission assembly moves and the AT thinks it is in the wrong gear.

If it doesn't work, they agreed to reset the check engine light for nothing and I will just avoid shifting down into "3."

After the part comes in and they replace it I will get back with the final report. Meanwhile, I will ask them to check all mounts.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

No, the mechanical shifter is all cable, which will have no trouble flexing enough for engine movement. Also, the electrical part (pnp switch) and mechanical part are mounted on the same shaft on the transmission, if transmission movement was causing this to move, both would move together, and the computer would care what the actual shifter inside the car was doing.

Reply to
Mike F

OK, I won't worry about that. They should have the new switch next week.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

I replaced my switch a few years ago, One thing that helped hold off the faults was, before starting, to run the lever through it's full travel several times, to "wipe" the contacts in the switch. If you do this, and it doesn't fail as often, then it's probably the switch.

It's also handy to be able to reset the faults in my 94 using the underhood controls. One reason I won't be buying a new Volvo is because there's no way I can read/reset all fault codes myself. (A generic scantool is not an option, because they read only emissions-related OBD-II codes only.)

Doug Warner

My faults are apparently caused because when the AT is in "3" and going on compression at about 50 mph it generates the code 322. Mike looked this up and found it indicates the gear ratio is incorrect for 2nd gear. Since I was in "3", it apparently was getting the wrong signal from the switch. They had already replaced the two speed sensors without noticing that the error was for the wrong gear. In normal driving in "D" the fault never occurs. If there is a contact error in the switch for "3' will it default to thinking it is in "2"?

Reply to
Stephen Henning

"Steve n Holly" wrote:

Mike F wrote:

I gave Volvo Customer Service and the dealer your input. The regional rep. suggested just changing the pnp switch. They absorbed half the cost of this. They completed the service this morning. It appears to solve the problem. I spent all afternoon shifting down to 3 and could not generate an error, even where I could easily generate the error before. Altogether, I paid about $1,000 for a $300 problem. At least your suggestions solved the problem (I think) and saved me $200.

Reply to
Stephen Henning