Progress: I can now get fuel to the engine. Won't run long - 1987 740

Follow up to my saga of the replaced in-tank sending unit and no start.

Up until now, no fuel to the engine, after I replaced the in-tank sending unit, fuel filter, main pump.

Original problem: with original filter, original pump and replaced sending unit - car died, would not start.

Well, today I removed the new AutoZone pump and put the old pump back in. The car started for the first time in days!

But, the in-tank sending unit was disconnected (wiring) - so it ran rough. I re-wired the in-tank sending unit and could not get it to start again.

So, problem 1 was the new pump was not getting gas to the engine. Putting the old pump in got gas to the engine.

Problem 2. Car started and ran a bit, but now it's wanting to fire - getting a few revolutions of ignition, then dying out.

I disconnected the in tank unit again - but can't get a full start. It's firing, but will not start.

Any thoughts?

Reply to
Jamie

Did you wire the Autozone pump backward? If you do that it will run but won't pump.

Spray a bit of starting fluid in the intake and try it, if it starts up for a moment then at least you know it's still just a fuel issue.

Reply to
James Sweet

Thanks for all of the input.

A-zone pump was wired right and I saw it pump out the right end on a bench test.

Here's a little more info and progress: I have a 1987 car, & called FCP Groton asking about cross referenced years for in-tank pumps and they said only a 1987 will work. Well, no

1987 cars to pull from in my area, so I grab a 1988 unit, snip off the snap-on connectors for wiring in the trunk and hard wire it. Piece of cake. Purple from the car goes to red wire to pump. Gray/white to gray/ white and brown to brown.

It's wired the same - red to pump on the positive post, gray/white and brown to gauge, black comes back to ground. Thinking this morning I would trash the sending unit and drive 70 miles to Dallas where a junk yard says they have a 1987 unit, I put my 1988 unit in a bucket of water and put 12v to it. It pumped water out just fine.

So, now it looks like the in-tank pump works, but I haven't checked power from the actual wires that power the pump, so I don't know if it works when I wire it up to the car.

That's where I am now.

Thanks! Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

I posted under one of your other posts about fuses and the fuel injection relay. The fuel injection relay controls power to both fuel pumps, but only the in tank pump is fused by F11 in the fuse panel. That means the main pump will work but the in tank pump will not work if F11 is blown. Is that a possible culprit?

joe

Reply to
Joe