Question about the 'normal sound' of a B230F engine

I am in the process of trying to transfer video from my camcorder to the internet and should have this done by tonight. What I did was attempt to capture the audio of my engine, and my camcorder just happens to be all I have.

At any rate - I just want folks to hear (and see) my engine running and tell me if they think it sounds within normal limits. Next month I'll be pulling the valve cover off and checking the valves to be sure. Until then, I am mainly curious.

Here's my deal. I really don't know how a 20 year old Volvo engine (B230F) should sound. I don't think I hear tapping - I'd recognize that sound. I've had engines that would be purring like a kitten, then there would be that distinct "tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-".

This isn't my issue. My engine just sounds loud - sort of like a diesel. I don't hear anything like a piston slap or valve tap. I'm just comparing it to sounds that I know from various engines - and most all engines hum, like "VVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRR".

This engine sounds more like a diesel with it's seemingly loud and hollow mechanics. Does the B230F have a louder, more distinctive sound, or should it sound like any other car?

Not to be exaggerated, it isn't so loud that you're holding your ears, it's just loud enough that you hear the engine, where as in most cars you can't even tell the engine is running unless you give it gas.

I feel like I am talking to Click and Clack the tappet brothers on "Car Talk" radio. My car sounds like "GGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRR" and should it sound like "VVVVVRRRRRRRR"?

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

It should be relatively quiet with a smooth steady idle. There will be a bit of vibration at idle because it is a 4 cylinder. Two of the loudest noises from that engine will be the fan followed by the air intake at any speed above an idle. At idle it should be quiet.

If the engine is otherwise in tune and runing smoothy you may have a leak in the exhaust system. Or, a large leak in the air intake (air filter all but disconnected) can have a howling rumbly sound.

Reply to
hjsjms

Thanks. I can safely say I don't think it's any of those.

I think in a way, it's sort of like the fuel injector sound - amplified about 5 times.

I still think the diesel sound is most accurate. Like when you're sitting at a stop and a Volkswagon diesel pulls up beside you - you know it's there and you hear the engine.

snipped-for-privacy@cs.com wrote:

Reply to
Jamie

I may replace the exhaust manifold gaskets. I checked the bolts and they are in good enough shape to come off easily.

Then I'll check the spark plugs/gaps, as the mechanic replaced them.

Then will come a new valve cover gasket when I check valve clearances.

Reply to
Jamie

Pull out the spark plug boots and if you have any black deposit than it is one or more of the exhaust manifold gaskets. If you do not have any black deposit it could still be the manifold gaskets leaking in different direction.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Reply to
Boris Mohar

Thanks. I think tonight I am going to "SeaFoam" the engine. I'll post the updates.

Boris Mohar wrote:

Reply to
Jamie

Any other Volvo's in your town with B230F engine you could listen to for comparison? Chase one down on the highway and ask them if you can listen under their hood. (Don't try this in LA, might get shot at...*g*)

Reply to
Clay

I thought about that, and yes, there is 1 just like mine in town, and then a 1994. I need to do this.

I think my conclusion is that I will find 1-2 valves out of spec tomorrow when I pull the cover.

Clay wrote:

Reply to
Jamie

I find the easiest way to find leaks is wait until the engine is cold, then start it up and feel around the exhaust manifold with your fingers. Be careful as it heats up pretty quickly.

Reply to
James Sweet

My 1993 940 with the same engine reminds me of an old Mercedes diesel...it's kind of got a rough-ish rumbling sound at low RPMs...it's had that for about the last five years, it seems it developed over time. I'd suppose it's normal, I haven't had any major problems.

Reply to
Robert