Question on tranny mount

Hopefully someone can help confirm this for me. My daughter has an 88

240 DL with approx 280K miles on it. It's a 5 spd manual with the M47 transmission.

Today I replaced both engine mounts ( with a lot of cursing) but I got it done. However when I went to replace the tranny mount I noticed that the mount on the car was different from what I got sent from FCP Groton. The new mount is a rectangular rubber mount, the mount on the car is a round rubber mount which matches the photos at FCP for the M46 manual transmission with OD. I decided not to change it until I could confirm the correct mount.

Can anyone who's done this confirm if the new mount is the correct one? The tranny has been difficult to shift i.e. hard to find the gate (feels very sloppy) and I'm hoping the combo if a tired tranny mount and at least one worn engine mount are the cause. What's the best way to change it? Should I have the car on ramps or on stands, it was tight access on the stands today at the tranny end.

While under the car I noticed that the flex disc is cracked and will need replaced and that the exhaust manifold to downpipe mounting is missing a stud (sounds like it's blowing when running). Can I use a nut and bolt to tighten this up or do I need to take it to a shop to get a stud fitted? Anything special about the nut and bolt if I can use one? It's amazing what you find out when you do your own wrenching!!!

thanks in advance.

Blair

Reply to
BlairG

IIRC the M47 mount I've seen is rectangular, it's easy enough to check and make sure it fits though. Someone may well have installed an M46 mount in the car.

If the shifter is sloppy, check the nylon bushings around the ball and those on the shift linkage too.

Reply to
James Sweet