Question regarding a key...

RE: 98 S70

I have 3 sets of keys, 2 with the remote fob, one that is solo with a black end.

I have never used this key, assuming it's a valet key (car bought used, btw)...

I went to use it, manually unlocked car, fine.. key in ignition, fine.. turn to start car.. it turns fine, accessories on, but- alarm sounds.. and car won't crank or start...

What is the purpose of this key? Worse yet, this is the only spare we've given to our mechanic, how has he started the car?? I know he's worked on it... (maybe not? Just kidding here..)

This is odd...

Thanks!

Reply to
Uncle Vinnie

Vinnie,

That is indeed the valet key. It should open the doors but not the trunk or glovebox. I don't believe it will start the car though as it doesn't contain the chip that the other two fobs do.

Jordan.

Reply to
Jabber

Wow... thanks Jordan....