questions of Volvo 850

I bought a used Volvo 850 wagon 5 months ago, year was 96, with only about 58,000 miles on it. The body looks as if it was a new car, and it runs great.

That is my first volvo, and I just have a few questions to ask:

  1. Every day when I start that car, it takes longer time to be warmed up, does anyone know why? I have another camry, which takes just about
5 minutes to be warmed up, but for that volvo, it takes may be 20-30 minutes. Anything that I can do about it ?

  1. The car is about 60,000 miles, and I am just wondering what kind of service MUST be done. I do not want to spend too much on the Maintenance cost, but if it really needed, I think I should do it.

Thanks for the tips,

CJ

Reply to
Charlie

Congratulations. With routine maintenance, you'll have a car that will last you a long while.

What do you mean warmed up? Do you mean for the temp gauge to start moving, or to reach the middle? I little my engine idle for about

2 - 3 minutes, except when it is brutally cold (like 0F outside without the windchill, when I wait another 2 or 3 minutes).
20 - 30 minutes is really long. In my experience the thermostat on 850s and S70s does fail (as on most cars), and might just be staying open on your car longer than it should be. It's a $20 replacement, although you probably want to flush the coolant at the same time.
60,000 - 70,000 miles is a major service point for the 850, and should be documented in the owners manual. I don't have it here, but from memory here are the things I remember replacing:

a) Timing belt and tensioner. Check the water pump at the same time; if it rotates freely and without vibration, Volvo service will probably not replace it, although it probably isn't a bad idea to do it. b) Air filter, fuel filter c) New spark plugs d) New drive belt (whatever its called - the one that goes to the compressor, power-steering and alternator). e) check, re-pack CV boots. f) check brake-lines, replace brake fluid

Other sundry less expensive things. This service will run about $600 at a Volvo dealer.

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf

I concur with the thermostat response.

Re the maintenance: Another item to consider every 20k to 30k miles is cleaning the throttle body. And, every year or 15k miles, change the cabin air filter ... if it does not have one, get it installed. Will help prevent major $$ or premature AC evaporator replacement. Also would suggest changing the fuel filter at 60k miles even though service manual says it is good for 100k.

See this link for a lot of Volvo service info:

Me

Your thermostat is likely stuck open, get it replaced as you are putting extra wear on the engine and using more fuel. It is a cheap job to do.

Reply to
Me

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Unlikely on the 850.

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf

What is unlikely???

Reply to
Me

Unlikely than an open thermostat will cause a decrease in fuel economy. Again, specifically on the 850.

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf

At first I thought you were just having a sly dig at the 850's normal fuel economy. As it seems not, you'l have to enlighten us as to how the 850, specifically, manages not to be more inefficient when it's not fully warmed up.

On any other car, if the combustion chambers are not kept at around their optimum operating temperature, then the combustion process can suffer. If it is very cold, enrichment may be required. In both cases thermal and chemical inefficiency results. If the oil is at less than its normal running temperature, it will be more viscous, requiring more effort from the engine, again leading to greater mechanical inefficiency and higher fuel demands. Given that the OP reckoned on a

30 minute warmup period, I say this could provide plenty of opportunity for greater fuel consumption.
Reply to
Stewart Hargrav

We had the same problem on the 1993 960 this year, thermostat and replace the coolant that we found was 100% pure coolant, no proper dilusion with water.... idiots at the indy shop strike again, it's all dealer now for our

Reply to
Rob Guenther

It wasn't a dig - it arises out of practical experience with two Volvos, and an explanation I don't understand.

I had an old 240 years ago with a thermostat that stayed open. I was really broke at the time (graduate school), so I just a piece of cardboard, blocked off half the radiator, and fuel economy returned to normal. About 6 months the thermostat failed on my SO's 850 (stays open all the time). No change in fuel economy. We replaced the thermostat, and the fuel economy stayed the same. Some time after that, I had to get a new gas cap for my S70, and I stopped by our Volvo service center and I asked one of the service guys why it didn't seem to matter. I don't recall the specifics of his answer, but he said something to the effect of the electronic ignition of the 850 compensating for the failed thermostat.

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf

Congratulations on your purchase! The 850 is a great car. As for your questions:

  1. Time for a thermostat. Not too expensive and amenable to do-it- yourself if you're so inclined.
  2. While it's early according to the service schedule, I would (did on mine) replace the timing belt. The book says they're good for 70K but the result of an aged belt failing is catastrophic. Other than that, not much else to worry about right now.

Chuck Fiedler Nothing but Volvos since 1974

Reply to
Chuck Fiedler

It should warm up faster than that. My 850 warms up in a couple miles, even in 5 degree weather. I think you may have an inline heater valve stuck open or maybe the thermostat needs replacing. Whatever is going wrong, the coolant is circulating before it should.

Reply to
Jeff Lesperance

Almost certainly the thermostat has failed, that's a fairly common problem with cars in general.

Reply to
James Sweet

Yes.

NO!

But..._age_ is also a factor. If this '96 850 has never had a timing belt change, it is well over-due for one--even with 'only' 60,000 miles.

I have a very-low-mileage '95 850T (still only 62,000 km (7,000 mi) as of today). When I took it in (to the dealer) for its 45,000 km (',000 mi) service in August of '01, the mechanic, noting the car's age, advised me that Volvo says every five years for that belt, regardless of distance driven. (And what's more, he said that here, in the frozen north--I live in Finland--the local guys actually recommend every _four_ years, because of the harsh climate.)

Indeed.

cheers,

Henry

Reply to
Henry

Thank you, Bev and other folks' help, now I get better understanding of why this happens. It seems to me that part is kind of mul-function, since I am living in san jose, and the morning temp is around 40-50 degree now. I will have it changed.

BTW, based on Bev's message, I have found this on the internet.

Enjoy!

cji

Reply to
Charlie

Sorry that is incorrect. ANY car be it carb or efi will have greater fuel consumption if its not able / allowed to warm upto design temperature.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM. Registry corupted, reformated HD and l

Replace the engine coolant thermostat. Your 850 should warm up very quickly and have god's own heater. The thermostat on my '96 850 failed in an always open condition almost three years ago. Cheap and easy to change. Also a good time to replace hoses and do a thorough coolant flush and fill. Volvo specs non-silicate coolant, so most standard US coolant is a bad idea. I refilled with Dexcool (GM's version of a non-silicate fluid) and distilled water.

You are coming up on a timing belt change. If you are mechanically inclined then you might start learning the do-it-yourself path.

Lots of good 850 how to stuff is posted by the nice folks at

John

Reply to
John Horner

BS. 850 engines have a target operating temperature just like any other engine.

Reply to
John Horner

The owner's manual will tell you the answer to this question.

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee

just for information, my 850 warm up in 5 min in -15C(-59F) .. wheater we have right now ;) yes, its probably thermostat causing the problems in your case

Reply to
Karl