Ran car empty, now won't start (1988 240 wagon)

The 240 wagon sat with an empty gas tank overnight, and after adding 4 gallons to it, it still won't start. I think that there may be an air bubble in the fuel line or something.

Anyone know how to tackle this?

Thanks in advance, Andrew

Reply to
andrewunix

I am reminded of C.W. Moss's classic line from 'Bonnie and Clyde' when he had to deal with a similar problem involving Mr Clyde Barrow's Ford (I believe it was always Fords that he stole).

'Dirt. Dirt in the fuel line. Just blowed it away'.

Anyway, that's one of the dangers of running dry, especially with an older car. You can suck up crud from the bottom of the tank and clog the line.

cheers,

Henry

Reply to
Henry

Could be the in-tank fuel pump isn't running. That gem pushes fuel at low pressure to the main pump, and there are a few possible reasons for it not working. It may not be getting power because of a bad connection in the fuel pump relay or the pump may be defective.

Now the devil's choice: your chances of getting fuel coaxed to the main pump are better if you fill the tank all the way, but if you have to open the tank and replace the fuel pump you need the tank less than half fuel. The safe bet is to determine if you have voltage to the pump and if the pump is running so you'll know if the tank has to be opened. (Access is through the rear floor, IIRC)

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

why do you want the tank to be less than half full if you're going to replace the in-tank pump?... I've done that twice on my '89 240, both times with the tank a little less than full, and had no problems.

Reply to
Al Dente

Never tried it with the tank full - good to know it isn't a huge problem.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

At the bottom of the tank?? Where do you think the fuel intake is anyway? Putting it at the top of the tank wouldn't exactly work. The crud is why cars have fuel filters.

Reply to
Franz Bestuchev

It's different on a 240 vs 740. On a 240 the sender is mounted in a horizontal surface at the top of the tank, so as long as the tank isn't

100% full, there's no problem. The 740 (and all 700/900) has the sender mounted in a surface that is on an angle near the top, narrow part of the tank. I wouldn't remove this sender unless the fuel level was down around the half level, although you could probably get away with anything less than 2/3.
Reply to
Mike F

Not exactly sure why, but running an older fuel pump dry can make it fail where it may have lasted another few years otherwise. My guess is that you will be replacing the fuel pump. When you pull it let us know if it works out of the car and the problem was elsewhere, or if it did indeed die on you.

Reply to
Mark

Thanks, Mike - that explains my confusion.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

and mine!... didn't realize the 240 and 740 would have different shaped tanks!

Reply to
Al Dente

I believe that's because the pump uses the gas to keep cool. I've never had an in-tank pump fail on any car I've owned - perhaps that's because I never go below 1/4 tank.

Reply to
Franz Bestuchev

Tue, 08 Mar 2005 10:50:20 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@BottomOfMessage.com suggested: :> >> The 240 wagon sat with an empty gas tank overnight, and after adding 4 :> >> gallons to it, it still won't start. I think that there may be an air :> >> bubble in the fuel line or something. :> >> :> >> Anyone know how to tackle this? : : Not exactly sure why, but running an older fuel pump dry can make it : fail where it may have lasted another few years otherwise. My guess is : that you will be replacing the fuel pump. When you pull it let us know : if it works out of the car and the problem was elsewhere, or if it did : indeed die on you.

Well, I let it sit for a couple days after adding fuel to it, and then it started right up. It's been running fine for a few days now. Is there anything that I should keep an eye out for?

Reply to
andrewunix

Low fuel indications? ;-)

Mike