Ratteling Noise Coming From Rear Of Car?

I noticed today a lot of rattling noise coming from the passenger rear side of the car, I have no idea what it is! it just sounds like something is lose I guess... it is very hard to describe I am not sure how to describe it!

It doesn't happen all the time - it seems to come and go but if I don't have the radio on it is annoying! I can hear it most at around up to 30mph - if I go faster I can't hear anything else...

It is definately something obviously to do with the wheels and/or suspension but is it anything serious or just some road noise from a car that has done over 150,000 miles?

My local garage did change or swap over the rear wheel bearings on the car as they thought it was causing the ABS to come up with a fault and since then the ABS light seems to stay off except for occasionally when it comes on, so whatever they did has sorta stopped my ABS light coming on!

Of course I have no idea if the noise was there before or not as I have been extra sensative to any car noises since my car broke down about a week and a hald ago and had two new coils fitted.... so I would like to know if it is something to get checked or nothing worth worrying about.

I have read on this forum about wheel bearing hum - but I have no idea what that sounds like and obviously the garage would have replaced the bearings when they swaped them over (if they didnt replace them anyway) if they were worn out so is it likely to be that?

One other thing I have read that S40s do not like Pirelli tyres and I can safely say that my rear tyres ARE Pirelli P6000's! I know the tread is getting low and the tyres needs to be changed in the next couple of weeks could this be the cause of the sound?

Thanks.

Reply to
Spinstorm

My 850 also has a rattle in the rear passenger side which I believe is the shock bushing on that side. I will have the mechanic check it in the next few days. I suspect that is what you are hearing with yours. There are other bushings back there and, at 150K, it's entirely likely it could be any of them but if you're hearing a metalic rattle, I would suspect the shock bushing.

As for your tire issue, I have never had good luck with Pirelli tires. At one time I suffered three tread separations inside of a month using Perillis. I have always preferred Michelin and had excellent results with them.

Hope this helps.

Chuck Fiedler Nothing but Volvo since 1974 Presently a '93 240 and a '97 850

Reply to
c.fiedler

If it is the shock bushing then is that something that needs to be fixed quickly?

or is it safe to drive still? and is it expensive to fix? obviously I don't want my wheels falling off!

Maybe its not that serious but know much more than me so how serious and how big a problem is it? Thanks.

Reply to
Spinstorm

Assuming I'm right that it's the upper shock mount, the biggest problem is the annoyance of the rattle. Arguably, over time the shock rod *could* wallow out the mount hole but that would be unusual. I wouldn't wait too long because a) the current state is annoying and b) the fix is pretty simple and cheap. If you're handy at repairs, the parts might cost $5. If you have a favorite mechanic, it shouldn't cost more than $50 (which I would think rather high).

Chuck Fiedler Nothing but Volvo since 1974

Reply to
c.fiedler

I just had a look at a check my volvo dealer did about a month ago and on it is says that the "trailing arm bushes are pushing out"

It didn't say anything else but is that would you are talking about? are the trailing arm bushes on the rear of the car?

I am planning on taking it to my local garage tomorrow to get it checked but if worse came to worse and I didn't replace them what is the worse that would happen? would the suspension break or something similar or are we just talking about a lot of noise!

I had a listen to the sounds today somemore and it sounds almost plastic, its not really a metallic sound I suppose its almost a spring sound! which would I guess seem to implicate the bushes?! Thanks.

Reply to
Spinstorm

I just wanted to add that the noise is only audiable from INSIDE the car - as I have opened my windows to see if I can hear any exterior noise and I can't!

I hate the fact that I may lose my car to the garage for a few days when I can still drive it which is one of the reasons why I want to know how serious an issue it is!

Reply to
Spinstorm

Even if it's a major suspension bushing, it ain't fatal. Might cost more than a shock mounting since the disassembly is much more involved. Could be $500 for a fix.

After toorrow I can tell you what mine was.

Chuck Fiedler Nothing but Volvo since 1974

Reply to
c.fiedler

Well, I'm surprised. Turns out the rattle was actually from the right FRONT strut mount. I swear it sounded like the right rear. $200 for GENUWINE Volvo parts and $200 for labor including a re-alignment. Wasn't critical to do at this time but the rattle was annoying so I got 'er done. No rattle now. I still listen to the radio, however.