rattling automatic shift lever 240 automatic

Today my 1990 240/auto shift lever started making funny noises. The first thing I noticed was that when depressing the release button and selecting a gear, the shifter rattles across the shift positions. Sounds like poker chips clanking. At 65 mph there starts to be a rattle, again sounding much like poker chips being shaken. If I pull back or push forward gently on any part of the shift lever, the rattling stops. There is also a loose feeling to the lever. The lever- thus far- continues to select gears correctly. The OD button on the shift knob works properly. It kicks down correctly when passing.

Any idea what's wrong? Loose linkage? Something broken? Thanks!

Reply to
Tim McNamara

There are plastic/rubber bushings in the linkage under the car. One has probably gone south.

Reply to
Mike F

there are some rubber pieces in the shift linkage that tend to wear and rot over time, evenually falling apart. This increases the "play" in the linkage, as well as allowing metal-to-metal contact, which is probably the source of the rattle you hear. I had to replace them on my '89 240 wagon about a year ago... cheap (around $5, although considering what I got, even that was overpriced!), and relatively easy to reach and install.

m9876c at yahoo dot com

Reply to
Perry Noid