Rear brake parts for 760 Turbo

Hi:

I need new rear rotors on my 760 Turbo. (1987 model, manufactured Sept '86). My friend who's doing the job said the calipers were fine, but suggested I get seal kits as long as the other work is being done.

Questions: Rear Rotors

  1. After reading the forum I'll likely get ATE rotors or Brembo. (either ) Those are fine, correct?

Rear Pads

  1. Forum consensus seems to be use Volvo pads or possibly Mintex. At Groton Volvo pads are . Mintex are , but they suggest to also get a Teflon Shim Set () and a Rear Hardware set (). I'm sure both are are good idea. Mintex pads + accessories ok?
  2. These items aren't suggested with the Volvo pads, however. Does the Volvo pad set come with these items? If not, is it more advisable to buy the Volvo pads and commit to getting the Shim and Hardware sets as well?

Rear Calipers

  1. I assume the rear calipers must be Bendix. Where can I get rear Brake Caliper Repair (seal) Kit?
  2. If I'm having the seals replaced as part of this job, should I just get a new set of rebuilt rear calipers?
  3. I don't know if mine have 38mm or 40mm pistons. I can choose to replace both with 40mm, correct? Looks like they're (plus core charge), but they include the pads and hardware. What are the best brands to get. My only other concern would be the type of pad I'd get. Is that a problem?
  4. Am I missing something I should be considering before I begin?

Thanks a lot!

Reply to
e4fx

This would add considerably to the work. Are the calipers seized or leaking? If neither is the case I would leave well alone.

Both are good makes with a generally good worldwide reputation. In reality, it is probably debatable whether you will truly notice the difference in use between these or other aftermarket stuff. Warping and wear may be an issue with cheaper makes, though.

I just whack in whatever the parts store put on the desk. Never had any trouble, nor been able to tell the diference. This will be particularly true on the rear brakes, which have comparatively little work to do.

Unlike other posters here, brake squeal has never been a problem on any car I've changed the pads on, regardless of make of pad. I use Copperslip grease on the backs of the pads, which I guess does the same as newfangled teflon shims. If the locating pins are damaged, you will need to replace these.

Auto parts store. In the UK I would recommend the warehouses we call motor factors.

Depends 1) what state the present callipers are in, 2) how much your friend wants (and will charge) to do calliper stripping, and 3) how deep your pockets are.

Use the ones recommended by the rebuilder. Unless you have specific reasons not to, it is usually best to replace like with like. It's not only the piston size you need to consider, but the size of disk it is made for, the pad size that will fit, and the location of the mounting lugs.

I know some people find this an important issue. There will be differences in wear rates, and some people talk about 'feel' and better stopping performance, but these are the rear pads on a Volvo

760, not the fronts on a track day car. The important thing is that they are the same across the axle.

Assess the condition of the car. It is 17 years old - this could be the last rear pad change it is ever going to need. As long as the brakes are working properly I would reconsider the need to spend more time and money on this. If they are not working properly, then these rebuilt calipers sound like a good deal.

Reply to
Stewart Hargrave

Hey Stewart:

Thanks for your very helpful response.

A lot of great information, plus some things I didn't think about.

  1. As the rear brakes work fine, I'll just get the rotors and pads. If I'm not going to rework the real calipers can I assume the various rear rotors for this 760 are the same size and any of them will work with the existing calipers?

  1. You did make me think I should check the front calipers. Is there a way to ID whether I have Girling or Bendix? The service plate seems to be missing and I myself don't want to pull the pad just to find out. I've read that the info printed there is not always correct anyway.

Thanks again.

Stewart Hargrave wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Reply to
e4fx

Bear in mind that we are in different countries, so there may be variations between the models available. Here in the UK, my EuroCar Parts catalogue only lists one part number for rear disks (rotors) across all 740/760 models, which suggests that they are all the same size. But check with your parts supplier first.

In the absence of the production plate (I hope this is not a stolen or wrecked car), I don't know of a reliable way to check this without pulling a pad, or at least having a close look at them within the calliper. There is a useful identification chart at

Stewart Hargrave