Rear brakes sticking on Volvo 360 1988

Does anyone have any ideas why the rear brakes on my 1988 360 stick on? They have only done this twice in the past 2 years, but this time it was at speed so the rear shoes etc have got very hot and need replacing. The problem is on applying the foot brake, the rear brakes are being applied, but not being released (both times after I've stopped for a few minutes and the thing has cooled down there has been a 'clunk' and they've freed themselves so I have been able to drive on. The garage has looked at the master cylinder and it looks OK - any ideas? Cheers, Dave

Reply to
geoffnail

The problem is far more likely to be the wheel cylinder(s) than the master cylinder. Removing the drums is very straightforward.

You may want to check also that the handbrake is releasing fully.

Reply to
Jack Wrigley