Rear Pinion Seal on 1990 740 Turbo

I've been told this needs replacing as it has a minor leak. Clear to see, as there is a bit of oil caught on the inside of the tire. Is this a job I can do myself? I have access to wholesale parts, and I'm pretty broke, so trying to save a buck, but don't want to muck things up. Keep in mind that my mechanical aptitude is...well, let's just say I wouldn't call it aptitude. But I can follow directions, and I can always pick up a manual if its' a simple enough job. TIA.

skid

Reply to
skid

This is no job for the barely competent mechanic.

This link may give you some info.

zencraps

The pinion seal is where the driveshaft connects to the rear axle. Sounds like you're describing an axle seal leak. The job is not too hard, there are 2 seals on each axle, an inner and outer. The wheel bearing is in-between them. The bearing is pressed onto the axle shaft, and retained with a one use retainer that must be destroyed to remove it. (These parts must be removed to replace the outer seal.) If you don't have the correct tools, you'll destroy the wheel bearing too.

Reply to
Mike F