Rear Shock 1988 740 Estate

I have what looks like oil coming from under the rear shock absorber. Would it need to be changed, what price for a new one.

Reply to
no

Yep. Replace them as a pair.

Euro Car Parts list them at about 20 ukp each (unless they are self levelling).

Changing them is easy enough, as long as the lower bolts aren't siezed.

Stewart Hargrav

What if they are self levelling, how will I know. What price self levelling. I have just looked at the manual it says if self levelling to change the coils, is it worth it on an 88 Estate.

Reply to
no

It's unlikley that they are self levelling. AIUI, self leveling shocks are integral with the spring,

The link I gave previously will give you a price for them (make sure you're sitting down).

Reply to
Stewart Hargrav

Of course it is worth it. Coil springs at around £24 each. Self-Levellers may be pricey but are very much worth the cost in the comfort levels they improve. Ordinary shockers are about £20-25 each but if the originals were part of a self-levelling set-up you will have to change the coils for normal to heavy duty versions which can be used with Self-levelling at an improved comfort level.

Cheers, Peter.

: > >I have what looks like oil coming from under the rear shock absorber. : Would : > >it need to be changed, what price for a new one. : > >

: >

: > Yep. Replace them as a pair. : >

: > Euro Car Parts list them at about 20 ukp each (unless they are self : > levelling). : >

: >

: > Changing them is easy enough, as long as the lower bolts aren't : > siezed. : >

: >

> -- : >

: > Stewart Hargrave : >

: >

: > For email, replace 'SpamOnlyToHere' with my name : :

Reply to
Peter Milnes

On the solid axle 700s the self levelling shocks (Nivomats) are still mounted in the "normal" location, separate from the springs. In the above picture you see the chrome rod comes out the bottom of the shock body and is covered by the rubber accordion boot. All Nivomats are like that, the normal shock has the chrome rod coming out the top and is covered by a plastic sleeve.

Reply to
Mike F

I have looked under the car and see that the shocks and spring are separate. The image Stewart Hargreaves kindly posted shows a self levelling shock. I see that the shock on the self levelling goes through the spring, from this do I have self levelling or not.

no

From Mike's description, self levellers will be 'upside down'. That is to say, the reservoir, or main body of the shock - the fat part - will be at the top:

Normal shocks will have the reservoir at the bottom. Don't be confused by any protective shroud or collar, which will be fairly flimsy, but may look a bit like the solid tube of the reservoir. In this pic, the shroud is blue, the main body of the shock (reservoir) is yellow:

If I was a betting man I'd lay good money on you having normal shocks.

Reply to
Stewart Hargrav

That's because the self levelling shock he showed was from 760 saloon/sedan with IRS, where the shock and spring are concentric. On 740/760 estates the old live rear axle is fitted where the shock is in the same place as the IRS saloon/sedans but the spring is behind the axle.

Cheers, Peter.

: > > not hereplease@not here.com wrote: : > >

: > > >What if they are self levelling, how will I know. : > > >What price self levelling. : > > >I have just looked at the manual it says if self levelling to change : the : > > >coils, is it worth it on an 88 Estate. : > >

: > > It's unlikley that they are self levelling. AIUI, self leveling shocks : > > are integral with the spring, : > >

: > >

:

: > >

: > > The link I gave previously will give you a price for them (make sure : > > you're sitting down). : > > -- : > >

: > > Stewart Hargrave : > >

: > > For email, replace 'SpamOnlyToHere' with my name : >

: > On the solid axle 700s the self levelling shocks (Nivomats) are still : > mounted in the "normal" location, separate from the springs. In the : > above picture you see the chrome rod comes out the bottom of the shock : > body and is covered by the rubber accordion boot. All Nivomats are like : > that, the normal shock has the chrome rod coming out the top and is : > covered by a plastic sleeve. : >

: > -- : > Mike F. : > Thornhill (near Toronto), Ont. : >

: > NOTE: new address!! : > Replace tt with t (twice!) and remove parentheses to email me directly. : > (But I check the newsgroup more often than this email address.) : :

Reply to
Peter Milnes

The car reg is E43 NDE can anyone tell from the reg if self levellers are fitted. I still don't know from all the postings which I do appreciate if the cars has self levellers.

message

: > --

Reply to
no

How about visiting your nearest motor factor and asking to see some replacement shocks, so that you can compare them.

Reply to
Stewart Hargrav