Reasons to drive a Volvo

In 1985 I bought a new 1985 Volvo 240 DL Wagon to replace my 1978 Cutlass. I loved everything about it with the exception of the weak A/C. I drove it until 1993 when I was involved in a serious accident and walked away without a scratch although the car was totaled (it had rolled).

So I purchased a brand new 1993 240 Classic wagon. I put down the settlement from my 1985 model and financed the rest over 3 years. Since 1996 I have had no car payments. The car is just about to turn over the 100K mark and there is not a thing wrong with it. I still have my car serviced at the dealer along with completing the maintenance there, and the expenses are reasonable. All I pay for is gas, insurance, and maintenance expenses - no car payment. On top of it, due to the fact that my car is garaged and washed a lot, it looks perfect. The interior is immaculate, and I replaced the floor mats recently, making it look even better.

Not making any car payment since 1996 has allowed me to spend more money on things like new clothing and trips to Europe, unlike my friends who must make a car payment every month in order to have a new car every three years.

I love my 240!

-Cathy

Reply to
Cathy

Not bad. My current 245 [Brick No 10] came from a Brazilian student who had left this country and given it to a friend to dispose of, with a cracked windscreen and dead starter motor. It cost NZ$50 [US$28.5851 at today's exchange rate]. NZ$120 for overhauling the starter motor. Runs on farm registration, NZ$25 for 3 months. Rustproofed body in excellent condition. Someone took the rubber facings off the bumpers, so they are intimidating metal beams = excellent traffic weapons. Photo before waxing [NZ$11] and fitting chrome wheel bands, so it looks quite smart now:

payments? That's just dumb. Cheers from Godzone.

Reply to
Classic Car Fair

Volvos are good for that, buy it, pay for it for a few years then drive forever without paying for it again!!I have a 940with 228,000 miles on it, running great!

Griz

Reply to
Griz

Hi Cathy,

Like yourself, my wife has a '93 240 Classic wagon, purchased new, and she too loves it. Not 100 but 200K on the clock! (Kilometres....) and running like a sewing machine (Husqvarna.....) Dutiful servicing at the dealer does help. In addition I change the oil and filter every 4000 Km. Regretfully I have to admit it has never been garaged. Nevertheless after washing it yesterday, it looks like new.

What colour is yours? My wife's is blue/green metallic. She calls it "Bluebottle"..........

Viva Volvo! Andy I.

Reply to
brackenburn

In late '99 I took a job involving a 110 each way commute from the east side of south florida to the west. I was looking for a good 240 (having had several over the years) to pile the miles on when I came across a Mint 1990 780 Bertone Coupe with 27,000 miles on it. Over the next year I added another 50,000 to it before the commuting job ended. It now has 110,000 and I refuse to consider getting rid of it because it just does everything so well, including getting comments about "Volvo makes a two door?" This car has never let me down and never had any problem that wasn't routine.

It's really too bad Volvo's credibilty back then for competing with the BMW and Benz Coupes wasn't sufficient to keep these in production as it was truly ahead of it's time.

My daughter drives our previous '93 Classic Wagon, and is getting "tired" of it, wanting a rice burner like all of her friends. That car will be coming home to my garage before she trades it. I can't haul plywood or a boat load of luggage with the Coupe! Craig

Reply to
Craig

Time to modify it for more power and better suspension I say ;)

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Heh drop in a B230FT with a bit of extra boost and completely smoke the new rice burner :)\

A 240 classic wagon is a damn nice car, I'd love to have one myself except I think 2 cars is enough.

Reply to
James Sweet