Refurbishing/stripping trim

Hi all,

I have a 1995 850 wagon without roofracks, instead I have the thin trim strips that run from the windshield right to the tailgate. As the matte black coating had started deteriorating I was able to lift all of the black off (it was a crumbling tape of some kind) but have left most of the dry adhesive on the otherwise shiny metal beneath.

Any suggestions on what I can use to remove that without damaging the paint or needing to pull the trim right off? It's too thin and well bonded to scrape off without scratching the metal beneath.

Any products or methods you might suggest are appreciated.

Thanks for your consideration, blurp

Reply to
blurp

Two thoughts:

3M makes an adhesive remover which doesn't damage paint in my experience.

The dealer can get and replace those strips. Ain't cheap -- well, is anything from the dealer?

Reply to
c.fiedler

I'll take a look for the 3M product. I know the dealer can replace the trim (the dealer can replace anything for a price) but I think once I get all the black off I'll leave them shiny and maybe clearcoat them. If that proves unsuccessful then I'll hand paint them with matte black paint and they'll be black again.

Thanks, blurp

Reply to
blurp

Well I tried "Automotive GooGone" last night and that didn't work at all. My brother-in-law tells me that paint shops sell some kind of rubber disk that goes on a powerdrill that acts like a high-speed eraser, maybe that will work...

blurp

Reply to
blurp

In article , blurp wrote: [ ... ]

That should be quite effective at removing the paint.

Try mild solvents (kerosene, WD-40 is mostly that; paint thinner) or light oils/penetrants (3-in-1, Liquid Wrench, etc.) to dissolve or soften the adhesive. It may take time to work. Some of them may remove wax, but I don't think any of them will damage paint.

Do _NOT_ try brake fluid. It _WILL_ damage paint.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston

Thanks Gary. This stuff can only be characterized as adhesive because I know there was a strip of black tape-like stuff that I stripped away. If you came upon it now for the first time you'd think it was very thin unevenly applied/mottled paint without even an edge to catch your nail on. The way this stuff is on there I suspect the manufacturing process originally involved bonding the two surfaces (the tape and the aluminum substrate) with heating/baking as a factor.

It seems like some sort of slow-acting thinner will be the best bet but I usually need to drive the car and can't let it sit for overly long stretches. Perhaps this weekend I'll section off parts of it and run tests on various substances.

I'll report my findings!

Thanks, blurp

Reply to
blurp